10 More Vegan Breakfast Toasts (Compilation #2)

On my ongoing quest to be more gentle with myself, I've been purposefully leading myself toward easier food. What's easier than toast? But toast can take so many forms! 

As I've said in my previous toast post, I will still include a toast or two in my more general breakfast compilations, but sometimes, you just need it to be all about one thing. So here we are. Ten new-to-me ways to get some fuel in the morning using toast as a delivery system. Some are savory. Some are sweet. All of them did the job in a very satisfactory manner!


1. Spicy Chickpea Avocado Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)

This pretty breakfast toast starts with a base of multigrain bread. On top of that, I have mashed avocado with salt. Then, some spiced chickpeas, made in rough accord with a recipe from Nadia's Healthy Kitchen. Finally, a garnish of fresh cilantro. If you want a savory toast, this is a great option!


2. Dill Pickle Hummus Toast


This one is self-explanatory: Spread dill pickle hummus on toast, then top with chopped dill pickle and some fresh dill for garnish. It's fantastic. (Find the dill pickle hummus recipe over at Cadry's Kitchen.)

3. Peanut Butter Toast with Celery, Grapes, and Granola (Soy Free)

I found this recipe at Floating Kitchen, and made it with 27-grain-and-seed bread instead of cinnamon raisin, because A) I don't care for raisins and B) I already had it. You might wonder about the combination of grapes and celery, but it totally works (and after all they do turn up together in other places, like Waldorf salad, so why not?). I think I was too stingy with the granola, but it was otherwise lovely.


4. Chocolate Tahini Banana Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)

I was in the mood for banana stars, but you really don't need to make them--you can just slice your bananas like a normal person. Here we have whole wheat toast spread with chocolate tahini and topped with bananas and sesame seeds. If you liked Nutella with bananas, this is a less frosting-like version without the dairy.


5. Seedy Peanut Butter Banana Toast (Soy Free)

I've been trying to eat more seeds lately (more protein, plus they look nice), so this last heel of a loaf of bread and half a banana I had left on grocery shopping day turned into this lovely toast with crunchy peanut butter, hemp seeds, chia seeds, and sesame seeds. This was fantastic; no complaints. If you're going to eat the heel of your bread--and you should!--make it exciting.


6. Dill and Lemon Non-Dairy Cream Cheese and Cucumber Toast


I love a good cucumber tea sandwich. So why not make a toast version? Here we have multigrain-and-seed bread with Miyoko's cream cheese, cucumber slices, lemon zest, dried dill, salt, and pepper. I didn't originate this idea, though I can't remember where I first saw it. It goes beautifully with a cup of tea in the morning.

7. Toast with Cream Cheese, Fruit, Chocolate Tahini, and Hemp Seeds (Soy Free)


I made this toast after I got some leftover fruit from a work meeting to take home because it would go bad over the weekend otherwise. I was inspired by recipes for fruit pizzas, and even though it looks messy, I really liked this! I spread some non-dairy cream cheese over my toast, then topped it with mango slices, berries, and pineapple. Over that, I drizzled on chocolate tahini and sprinkled on some hemp seeds. This was great; I'd happily have it again.

8. Lemony Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus Cucumber Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)


A very typical breakfast for me if I have made hummus is to put it on toast with cucumber slices and salt and pepper, so it's no surprise that I did this with my homemade lemony cilantro jalapeno hummus. This did not disappoint.

9. Kiwi Cream Cheese Toast with Hemp Seeds (Soy Free)


A largely self-explanatory toast option: I spread multigrain toast with some Miyoko's cream cheese, then topped that with some kiwi and hemp seeds. Kiwi goes beautifully with cream cheese, and hemp seeds help boost the proteins while adding a nutty crunch.

10. White Chocolate Macadamia Toast with Almond Butter and Coconut


The things you can do with nut butter toast are infinite. I got this idea from Beaming Baker. Just chop up some macadamia nuts and put them on some toast spread with almond butter. Then add some non-dairy white chocolate chips and a sprinkling of coconut. It's a bit like having a white chocolate macadamia cookie for breakfast, but less sugary.


As I spend a lot of time thinking about the past (because I'm a historian), right now I'm happening to marvel over the way so many modern conveniences have made this an "easy" meal, when for many of our ancestors, it wasn't easy at all. So here's to whoever invented the electric toaster, with hopes that we can benefit the future as much as that person!

Comments

  1. Toast really is such a wonderful thing! Endless possibilities! I am particularly intrigued by the celery, grape, and peanut butter toast. It makes so much sense, I just have never put grapes or celery on toast before.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts