Interlude: 10 Vegan Breakfast Toasts

 I love making vegan breakfast compilations. It's so much fun to explore all the diversity of possibilities! But lately I've been eating a ton of breakfast toasts, and I thought rather than doing a toast-heavy compilation with other things, I would just save some of the toasts for their own, one-off collection. And here we are!

There are 10 toasts here, some more creative than others. There is a lot of nut butter and fruit, though in a diverse range of combinations and possibilities. But there are also savory toasts, and a few things that are really different from your average breakfast toast. If you love toast as much as I do, I hope you'll find some inspiration here.


1. Thai Peanut Butter Toast (Soy Free)

Not all peanut butter toasts are sweet or savory. Some of them are both! Here's a truly delicious option to get you out of a rut: Start with whole grain toast, then spread a layer of creamy peanut butter on top, followed by a thin layer of vegan honey (I used rice nectar, but agave would also work). Add a sprinkling of chopped peanuts. (Yes, you could just use crunchy peanut butter, but I don't think it's as much fun.) Drizzle on some sriracha to suit your spice tolerance. Finally, add some chopped cilantro. If you want, you can squeeze a bit of lime juice over it just before serving--that'll also cut down a bit on the spiciness. I read a bunch of recipes online before I made my toast, but here's a similar version from The Spruce Eats, if you'd like a more detailed recipe. Just note that they used actual honey, and so we vegans will need to make a substitution.

2. Zucchini "Hummus" Avocado Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)

I had some leftover zucchini "hummus," and my avocados were at that absolutely perfect stage, so I decided I needed this toast. It's very simple: Spread the zucchini "hummus" over the toast, top with sliced avocado, and garnish with flaky salt, fresh ground pepper, and fresh chives. (Scallions would easily work but I had fresh chives from a co-worker's garden.) This was really good!

3. Peachy Blueberry Toast (Soy Free)


I got so excited to find fresh peaches at the store! It was also blueberry season; a happy coincidence. This toast has Miyokos cream cheese sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, thin peach slices, and blueberries.

4. Seedy Cashew Butter Banana Toast (Soy Free)


If you haven't had cashew butter (and you aren't allergic), you truly must try the amazingness that is cashew butter. So creamy. So satisfying. So wonderful to pair with sliced bananas on toast. To boost the protein content and add some texture and crunch, I added chia seeds, hemp seeds, and cacao nibs on top of the banana. This was truly delicious; I highly recommend it.

5. Pesto Avocado Toast with Tomatoes


I had some homemade pesto to use, and it sounded like a good toast idea, so I went looking for a recipe because I wasn't up to coming up with my own. Minimalist Baker to the rescue! Well, sort of. I only roughly followed the instructions. But I started with some whole wheat bread, which I toasted and then spread with mashed avocado. On top of that, I put my pesto, followed by tomato slices and some flaky sea salt. I tried it with red pepper flakes, too, in other iterations; it's good either way so you do you! I loved this as a new spin on avocado toast.

6. Vandeman Breakfast Toast (Soy Free)


This recipe is found at Stuffed at the Gills, and although it's not the prettiest thing, it's tasty. Spread crunchy peanut butter on toast, then top with warm applesauce. It's that easy! If you have bananas around (I didn't), add banana slices, and it'll be much more attractive. But not everything has to be Instagram-worthy to taste good!

7. Zucchini "Hummus" and Yellow Beefsteak Tomato Toast (Nut Free, Soy Free)


A co-worker gave me an amazing home grown yellow beefsteak tomato, so that went with the rest of my zucchini "hummus". I added flaky salt and freshly ground black pepper, and loved eating this two days in a row. I was sorry when the tomato was gone.

8. "Honey" Cherries and Nut Butter Toast (Soy Free)


This recipe is from Live Simply. I used rice nectar instead of honey, which made it vegan. The toast you see here has peanut butter, but I also had this with almond butter another day and it was delicious, too. The hemp seeds were a nice touch for a bit more protein and texture.

9. Strawberry Mango Cashew Butter Toast (Soy Free)


Start with some toast. Spread on some cashew butter, then top it with sliced strawberries and mango. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, hemp seeds, and chia seeds. Presto! Breakfast! Even better with a Postum soy milk latte on the side.

10. Lemon Dill Hummus Toast with Mushrooms, Peppers, and Onions (Nut Free, Soy Free)


The last toast in this post is a savory one. I love dill. I don't buy it often, but when I do, I like to make dill everything for a while! I cut down this recipe from Gourmet with Blakely to make a lightly spiced lemon dill hummus in a more manageable amount for me, then spread it on toast and topped that with some sauteed mushrooms, red bell pepper, and onion. I garnished it with more dill. This was perfect; absolutely no complaints. I would change nothing.


What do you put on your toast?

Comments

  1. This is such a wonderful round up! I love toast and all the things that can go on top of it. I have not been too inspired lately with toast, I have been having a Nuttelex (vegan butter) and vegemite phase lately, it is just very comforting and nostalgic for me.

    Also, I am swooning at how perfect your avocado is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some Marmite I should try this way!

      It was a really lovely avocado!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts