What I Ate in a Day #17

I'm pretty proud of this day, because it turned out okay and even pretty presentable, in spite of the fact that I was having a really hard time. Every meal was a struggle for me and my grocery shopping the day before had been a late Friday night, haphazard grab of random things I already had on my list, because I was not really able to meal plan or make a proper list. (I had my reasons; they're good but this is a food blog, so we'll leave those aside for the time being, except to say that I am in no legal trouble but it was a week involving way too much contact with lawyers for my liking.)

I started out with a cup of herbal tea, then a quick breakfast of some whole wheat toast with almond butter, some leftover blueberry chia jam, sliced bananas, and a sprinkling of hemp hearts. With a glass of soy milk, I was set for a better Saturday.

Lunch was leftovers made into a kind of sushi bowl, with seasoned sushi rice, chopped cucumber, pickled red cabbage, a few slices of leftover smoky tofu, some seasoned laver I had in my pantry from who knows when, and a drizzle of sriracha mayo.

It's not that common for me to snack between meals, but I got hungry at midafternoon and made a quick snack of Triscuits, some Field Roast mushroom balsamic slices, and some chopped Daiya Monterey Jack. This was really tasty.

For dinner, I mixed about half of a can of refried beans I had in the fridge with a half-a-can worth of the juice from some diced tomatoes and green chiles (it's flavor--don't throw it out!) and some onion and garlic sauteed in vegetable oil. I decided it wasn't spicy enough and added a bit of hot sauce, and then it was perfect. In a separate pan, I cooked some chopped orange bell pepper--one bit escaped, and you can see it there!--and made a quesadilla with it and some non-dairy mozzarella and some small flour tortillas. I also mashed some avocado with lime juice to have on the side, along with some non-dairy sour cream. This was pretty delicious.


Sometimes my struggle days look a lot more struggle-like than this, so I'll take this whole day as a major win!

Comments

  1. This day definitely looks like a win food wise. Everything looks wonderful. Dealing with lawyers sounds stressful. I am glad you are not in any legal trouble, but I hope whatever it is will be resolved soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. My part is over for now, but the whole thing is really dragging on for someone else.

      Delete
    2. I work for lawyers and can attest I am in contact with them far too much for my liking as well, but it pays the bills. Glad that's over with for you. I love Triscuits, especially the sun dried tomato flavor. Your dinner looks so good!

      Delete
    3. We all do what we have to do to survive capitalism, so I sympathize, even though this is was more about other things. Triscuits are delightful; though I don't have the dairy-infused ones for obvious reasons, I've never met a Triscuit I didn't like that fit my parameters, and yes, the sun dried tomato Triscuits are worth writing home about!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts