A Review of New Things I've Tried #40 (Non-Perishable Pantry Goods Edition)

Pantry goods are often incidentally vegan, though a few of the items on this list are deliberately vegan, too. Jams, canned soup, pickles, even salt make this list of things from my pantry stocks I've tried recently.


1. Three Little Pigs Cornichons


I've enjoyed many cornichons in my time, but unfortunately, these were a miss. They had a strong mustard flavor and were far too sour. Cornichons should be tart but not that tart. They were good in my mushroom pate sandwiches but definitely not on their own.

2. Bonne Maman Strawberry Preserves


I'm quite sure I must have had this at some point before, but I wanted to review it here, because at some point in pandemic lockdown I concluded that this is the very best strawberry spread I have ever had. I rarely feel, with other jams and such, that they are calling to me from the fridge, but this one does that. Also, these jars are the most reuse-friendly of just about anything out there. The labels peel off cleanly and the jars and lids are all so cute and elegant. They can be drinking glasses, food storage, or a place to corral pencils. I am in love with these preserves.

3. Wegmans Italian Classics Minced Garlic in Water


Because I was going a long time between grocery trips, I decided to pick up a jar of garlic. It had been a really long time since I used something like this, although my mother always kept a huge jar of minced garlic in the fridge. It costs more than fresh garlic, and you'll be more limited in applications using it (i.e., obviously you can't have whole roasted cloves or sliced garlic with this). But it is great to have in the seasons I have to hunker down and avoid the world, and it definitely has that garlic taste and smell. I will still buy fresh garlic every time I visit the store, but this will help me in the between times.

4. Good & Gather Red Raspberry Fruit Spread


I can't always get my beloved Bonne Maman, so I bought this red raspberry fruit spread to tide me over. It's fine--sweet and berry-flavored for sure--but nothing too exciting. I didn't manage to eat it all before it got moldy, so I would not be very likely to buy it again.

5. Hellman's Vegan Dressing & Spread


Hellman's refuses to call this mayo, but this is mayo. I bought it when my store was sold out of Vegenaise. It's a perfectly servicable mayo, although a bit sweeter than I'm used to. It is vaguely reminiscent of Miracle Whip, but isn't quite Miracle Whip, either. I'm glad to have an alternative available to me for when Vegenaise isn't there, especially one that is shelf-stable and can be shipped to me if necessary. I go through seasons without much interest in mayo but sometimes I just put mayo in everything for a while. As much comfort-vegan ranch as I've been making, I needed some mayo. Hellman's is, of course, the most popular brand in this half of the U.S., so some people who wouldn't dream of trying a dedicated vegan brand might be inspired to try something like this. If they do, fortunately they won't be shocked and horrified by it!

6. Gardein Italian Wedding Soup


I bought this in anticipation of my vaccine booster making me feel ill, but ultimately it was a non-event, so I had it around for a while. This is a basic canned noodle soup. That's both good and bad. It would be great if you were feeling ill, because it has that kindly, bland, soothing quality to it. But I wouldn't make this if I had the gumption to make my own soup, because like all canned noodle soups, the noodles are soggy and virtually disintegrating, and the veggies are just plain sad. I did enjoy the little meatballs. I wish Gardein sold those separately, so I could make my own Italian wedding soup!

7. Wholesome Pantry Steel Cut Oats


I've never noticed differences among brands of things like oats, so this is not really about this brand, but about steel cut oats themselves. Despite their rise in popularity in America over the past decade or two, I hadn't yet tried them. They're a very different experience from rolled oats, so if you aren't a fan of those, these could be worth trying. They cook up nutty and chewy in a way that rolled oats don't. Although they're also pricier here than rolled oats, they're a very cheap meal in general, so it might be worth it to you to give them a try if you're exploring what new things you can find in budget cooking like I seem to be of late. They take a lot longer to cook, though, so be prepared to get your oats simmering for a while before you can eat them!

8. Good & Gather Tomato, Basil & Garlic Pasta Sauce


This sauce is a basic pasta sauce, but pleasantly garlicky. It did the job I needed it to do and did it pleasantly and inexpensively, while it also came in a glass jar (not always the case for these cheaper pasta sauces).

9. Lieber's Thin Rice Cakes


I don't have a whole lot to say about these. They're rice cakes; if you've had one, you know what they're like. I do like that these are thinner than some others, because it's a lot easier to eat that way. Top with whatever you're in the mood for and experience nostalgia for the 1980s.

10. Maldon Sea Salt Flakes


Does it make a difference what kind of salt you use? YES. I didn't realize this until I tried proper flaky sea salt, but a sprinkling of this stuff over my food as opposed to regular old table salt was a revelation. I don't fully understand all the magical properties of sea salt, but I highly recommend this one if you can find it.


I think out of this compilation, my favorites are the Bonne Maman strawberry preserves and the Maldon sea salt flakes. Both were life changing in their own way. Do you have a product out there that you adore? Let me know if you think I should try something you like to have on hand!

Comments

  1. I recently bought some blackberry Bonne Maman jam and it was very nice. I am not a big jam eater, and when I do buy it I normally get St Dalfours which is fruit sweetened as I find a lot of jams made with sugar too sweet for me. But Bonne Maman seems to manage to avoid being sickly sweet!

    In tragic news, Follow Your Heart has decided to stop supplying Australia forever, which means no more of my beloved Vegenaise. But I did find some of that Helmans in the supermarket, which I have bought. Have not tried it yet (still carefully going through my final jar of Veganaise).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dear! I was quite concerned that when Danone bought Follow Your Heart, bad things would follow. I wonder if that explains it? I'm sorry you can't have Vegenaise. But yes, Hellman's will probably be a good substitute.

      Delete
    2. I found three jars of Vegenaise on clearance at a grocery shop near me. Sure they have best before date of November, but whatever. I will enjoy every creamy morsel!

      Interestingly, I checked and the Hellman's here is labeled as Vegan Mayo, so I guess different labeling laws apply in Australia. In fact, all vegan mayos are called vegan mayo, not spread or anything else.

      Delete
    3. Hellman's was anti-vegan-mayo labeling and sued JUST Foods to get them to stop making mayo, then put out their own product. I am hesitant to buy it due to my resentment but I will, on occasion; hey, we got JUST Egg out of it so it wasn't a total loss.

      Delete
    4. Now that you mention that, I remember hearing about that lawsuit on an episode of The Bearded Vegans.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts