Sequestration Meal #468

 


This is Mexican black beans (recipe from Oh Sweet Basil), zucchini corn fritters (recipe from Making Thyme for Health), avocado slices with flaky salt, and a bit of Tofutti sour cream.

If you left off the Tofutti sour cream, this would be free of all major allergens, incidentally.

I had hoped to get fresh corn for these fritters, but my market was out, so I used frozen. The zucchini was from a giant one a co-worker grew, which really needed to be shredded and stuck in something rather than eaten in other ways (big zucchini doesn't work as well if it's cut in chunks and made the star--that's a job for young, little zucchini). This recipe worked super well; I would make these again. (But I would eat any sort of chickpea flour-based fritters, and we already knew that.)

The beans were intriguing. It's a very simple recipe but after they simmer down for 40 minutes or so they have a really deep flavor profile. I added a generous amount of black pepper but otherwise made the recipe mostly as it was written, cutting it in half because I only wanted to cook one can of black beans and putting in one whole 8-ounce can of tomato sauce because that seemed like the most straightforward approach. Next time I'd probably cook an onion and maybe some peppers before adding the garlic and cumin, but this was perfectly fine as a side dish for the fritters.

This is one of those meals you could serve to almost anyone without them protesting that your food is weird.

Comments

Popular Posts