Recipe: Vegan Taco Casserole (Gluten Free, Nut Free)

Do you have broken tortilla chips? I have just the thing for that.


This casserole is delicious, but it gets bonus points for being a manageable size (for me), because it can cook in a loaf pan. This fits in my toaster oven, which is very important for the summer.

I have shared this recipe with you before, but it was buried alongside a post about a packed lunch. So I'm bringing it out here, so it can be found more easily, and also, with better photos. Serve it with avocado, non-dairy sour cream, Spanish rice, salsa, or whatever else strikes your fancy.


Vegan Taco Casserole
Serves: About 3

1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon boiling water
1/2 teaspoon vegetable bouillon (I used Better than Bouillon)
1/2 cup TVP
1 cup canned refried beans (check the label to be sure it's vegan)
1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chiles (such as Ro-Tel), drained with the liquid reserved and divided
2 1/2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, divided
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3/4 cup shredded non-dairy Monterey Jack or cheddar-style cheese, divided
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped finely
Salt
Pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon packed brown sugar
1 1/3 cups tortilla chips, broken into 1-inch pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Dissolve bouillon into boiling water, then pour mixture over TVP. Sir well and set aside to reconstitute.

In a mixing bowl, combine beans, half of the drained tomatoes, 1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, and hot sauce. Stir well.

Smooth beans into a loaf pan or small casserole dish. Sprinkle a layer of 1/3 of the cheese over the bean mixture. Set aside.

Heat oil in a nonstick skillet. Add onion and about 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion has softened. Add garlic, chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Cook until fragrant (usually about half a minute), then stir in the reconstituted TVP. When well mixed, add the tomatoes, half of the juice from the can (or more if you want the heat), vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a simmer and cook until the mixture is nearly dry. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle the TVP mixture over the beans and cheese, taking care to cover evenly, then follow with another layer of the cheese. Scatter the chips on top of the cheese, then add your final layer of cheese.

Bake about 8 to 10 minutes, until the filling is bubbly. Let cool for 10 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve.

Comments

  1. Never underestimate the power of the toaster oven. Years ago, a fellow student boasted how much she loved hers (I thought them outdated) and recommended that I should get one because a microwave can't crisp up foods and for when you don't want to turn on the oven in the summer. She was right. Still have one to this day. Great for when you've got vegan cookie dough in the fridge and just want a few cookies. I tried making them in the air fryer but they get brown and crunchy on top but still raw and gooey on the bottom. Taco anything sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love my toaster oven! I do ALL of my summer baking in a toaster oven, and a lot of stuff in a toaster oven year-round (like tater tots--they're great as a single serving in the toaster oven, and why would I turn on the oven for that if I don't need to?). And it preheats so much faster. I haven't tried making cookies in them, though! I tend to make cookies in batches in colder weather and freeze the cookies themselves. I've yet to fall down the air fryer rabbit hole so I can't say anything about that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts