10 Caffeine-Free Vegan Hot Drinks (Compilation #2)

 Exploring new hot drinks has been one of the ways I'm keeping myself entertained this winter. I didn't expect to do a full compilation again after my last one, and as with I've done with toast, I will still include representations in my more generalized breakfast compilations. But I've gotten really into playing around with new things in the morning, and so I have a whole new set for you!

Although this is a caffeine-free compilation, many of them are latte recipes I adapted to suit my needs, so you'll find a lot of possible coffee drinks here, too--just use real coffee or espresso if that's your jam.

1. Gingerbread Latte (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


This one is a tiny bit complicated, but so worth it. You'll find the recipe at Delightful Adventures. As with most coffee drinks, I substituted Cafix, making 1/4 cup double-strength. I used soy milk, but you could use any plant milk, I would think. To foam my milk topping, I used an immersion blender, and it did the job reasonably well--I ended up with a bit of creamy froth on top, which held up to a sprinkling of cinnamon. It was utterly delicious.

2. Blueberry Latte (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


For some reason, this doesn't show up on camera quite so purple as it is in person, but eh, it's still pretty enough so I'm going with it! This is a coffee-free latte that may be better understood as a hot flavored soy milk, but that doesn't sound as tasty. The recipe is from Vanelja and it's a straightforward one--blend blueberries, soy milk, spices (cardamom and cinnamon), and vanilla, plus a little sweetener if you want (I used a bit of vegan apple honey), then warm it all up and serve.

3. Creamy Cashew Gingersnap Latte (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


Here's another "ran out of plant milk" possibility for you! I found this recipe at The Bojon Gourmet and I used a base of Cafix rather than coffee. It's a delightful brown sugar-and-spices drink made rich and creamy from being blended up with cashews. I attempted a cinnamon garnish and my cinnamon came out a lot faster than expected, so this is less beautiful than I intended, but it still tasted great. Because of the cashews, you can't really reheat this without it getting super thick, so I cut the recipe in half and when I had some left over after my breakfast I stuck it in a jar in the fridge for having an iced latte later on. I liked it even better over ice, though I had to drink it covered in many blankets given how cold it was. This may be a good year-round option--I would love the iced version in the depths of summer!

4. Salted Maple Walnut Latte (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


This one I came up with on my own: I started with 1/4 cup double-strength Cafix (you could use coffee or espresso if you want those), and added it to 1/2 cup walnut milk, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, and a dash of salt. I warmed that in a saucepan until hot, and then added 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla after removing it from heat. This was a nice flavor combination!

5. Warm Mint Grapefruit Tea (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


Although I found this recipe under the name "warm detox grapefruit tea" over at Lifestyle of a Foodie, I made it because it sounded good, and not because I wanted to "detox." It's pretty simple--you make a fresh mint tea and add fresh grapefruit and lemon juices, then, if you want (I didn't need it), add maple syrup. Because my grapefruit had been chilled I did need to heat my tea up a bit after mixing everything together, but otherwise I made it as written without the optional maple syrup. I really enjoyed this! Then again, I am the sort of person who enjoys hot lemon water, too, just for the taste of it, so bear that in mind as you consider my recommendation.

6. Cinnamon Soy Latte (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


This one taught me a new technique for foaming milk and now I end up with gorgeous foam on top! And no need for a frother. Just let your blended milk mix settle so that the foam rises to the top before slowly adding it to your "coffee." Plus, I learned that coconut sugar is a gorgeous garnish! I was truly amazed! The technique and rough outlines of the recipe are from Healthy Happy Life. I used strong Cafix rather than espresso, and I only used a cup of soy milk rather than 12 ounces. I also added a bit more coconut sugar. It was delicious, and so simple. The cinnamon is a no-brainer, but coconut sugar goes so well with it, and gives it a nice caramel flavor.

7. Blue Coconut Latte (Gluten Free)


I followed a recipe from Clean Eating Magazine here, substituting a vegan honey substitute (one made from apples and lemon juice) and just sticking everything in a blender rather than using a shaker jar. It was vibrant and tasty! I think I can tweak the recipe a little to better suit my tastes, but it was still good, and it was also really fun to have something so naturally blue in the morning.

8. Candlelight Coffee with Molasses and Brown Sugar (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


I veganized this recipe from Food 52 with soy milk, then made it appropriate for my coffee-free life by using strong-brewed Cafix in place of espresso, but you could use coffee if you're not avoiding it. I really loved this, but that's not surprising--molasses has really grown on me!

9. Cardamom Latte (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


Here's another easily veganized recipe, this time from Aubrey's Kitchen. I used soy milk and rice nectar for the milk and honey in the recipe, and strong Cafix for the coffee. I love cardamom, so this was wonderful.

10. Orange & Spice Hot Cocoa (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


I love orange and chocolate flavors together, so this cocoa recipe was right up my alley. I used soy milk in mine and didn't bother with any garnishes; I think it looks plenty inviting on its own! This was delicious and I would easily make it again.


What do you drink in the morning?

Comments

  1. These all sound incredible! I want to make every one of these. Coffee free, like you. Unless I am eating out for breakfast, I tend to save my hot drinks more for the afternoon. I love a hot beverage, a cosy couch, and a good TV show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a good hot tea in the afternoon, but by then I'm too tired to do anything fancy. This time of year I am definitely hot drinks all the time, though.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts