Sequestration Meal #523

 


I have issues. When I last had millet, and had used up my stash, I loved it so much that I immediately bought more millet. I made one more millet meal and then, the millet just hung out on the shelf, because I had gotten it out of my system, I suppose.

You've got to use your millet sometime, though! So here's sometime, along with some other using-it-up things. First, I have the millet cakes from Eating Well, substituting Violife Parmesan for the dairy version. They're pretty basic, with millet cooked in broth with onions, garlic, carrots, zucchini, and cheese, then made into patties and fried until golden. They were fine, nothing spectacular (certainly not spectacular enough to make me buy more millet in a rush).

And there is broccoli, as it is broccoli season, and I am a broccoli person. It was lovely; fresh broccoli is pretty much always lovely.

Finally, I have my favorite part of the meal, which was totally just a raid-the-fridge special. I had half a can of white beans and a bit of some canned tomatoes and green chiles hanging out in there, so I decided to make something out of them. I sauteed some onion in olive oil, then added a clove of garlic. When that was cooked, I added the tomatoes, some water, and a bit of a leftover ramen seasoning packet (imitation chicken flavor--waste not, want not). When that boiled, I added the beans and let them simmer, but the sauce seemed to still need something, so I tossed in a teaspoon of tomato paste from my freezer. It was perfect. I simmered it down until most of the liquid was gone. I would definitely make this again on purpose; I was quite sad I didn't have more of it.

Life is full of surprises.

This isn't tagged soy free because of the ramen packet, nor nut free because of the coconut in the non-dairy cheese. But if you left out the cheese and seasoned the beans differently, this meal would be free of all major allergens, incidentally.

Comments

  1. This reminds me I also have millet (and several other random grains) hanging out in my cupboard that I need to prioritise to use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's that time of year for me! Something happened last year that stopped me mid-clear-out. I don't remember what. Maybe a snowstorm? Or supply chain stuff? It can be emotionally challenging for me to use things up. But I need to do it. What do you have besides millet? Maybe I can make suggestions.

      Delete
    2. I have a heap of amaranth, teff (the grain, but also the flour), and I think also some sorghum.

      Delete
    3. Teff and sorghum I don't know, but amaranth is good in porridges. Lots of recipes out there! I've tried a few, but I have my eye on this one now in particular: https://www.onegreenplanet.org/vegan-recipe/quinoa-amaranth-porridge-with-blood-orange-syrup/

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts