Sequestration Meal #522

 


I had other plans for some of these ingredients, but sometimes I get into a mood and I have to go with it. So I made something delicious! I veganized a recipe for skillet farro and sausage casserole I found. In my case, it consisted of Don't Be Piggy sausage crumbles, onions, garlic, sweet potatoes, farro, cannellini beans, no-chicken broth, dried basil, and spinach. I garnished it with some Violife Parmesan.

Though it ended up soupier than intended, it was still great. I hadn't had farro in ages, and there is something so wonderfully nutty and rustic about it. It's chewy and flavorful in a way nothing else really is. It has more protein than rice, too, which is its most probable alternative. I'm so glad I bought the big bag of it I did, so I can play around with it some more.

Because farro is wheat, it does contain gluten, so this is not suitable for people avoiding gluten. But it is free of nuts and soy, which makes it an allergy friendly option for people who can have gluten. You will want to check your sausage, though; many contain gluten, nuts, and/or soy.

Do you have a favorite farro recipe? Let me know!

Comments

Popular Posts