10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas (Compilation #53)

Summer. Heat. Smoke from Canada. Ugh. But also berries and stone fruit! This compilation includes more savory elements than last time, too, so also here's to potatoes, zucchini, and beans. Hopefully that's intriguing enough that you'll keep reading!


1. Blended Lemon Poppy Seed Overnight Oats with Non-Dairy Yogurt and Blueberries (Gluten Free)


I loved this recipe from Eat with Clarity after I made it my own--i.e., I blended everything up except the poppy seeds until it was nice and smooth, then poured the mixture into a bowl to stir in the poppy seeds. In the morning, I added a dollop of non-dairy Greek yogurt, some blueberries, and more poppy seeds. This was truly amazing. Possibly because it involved no heat, the lemon flavor really shone through here! I made this mostly because I was avoiding the store due to smokiness and I had the ingredients on hand, but I recommend it under plenty of other circumstances, too.

2. JUST Egg Omelet with Mushrooms, Peppers, and Spinach (Nut Free)


I've attempted JUST Egg omelets before, but they always turned into scrambles--until I got a new nonstick skillet (my last one was sticky, I guess) and found this recipe from Nora Cooks. I was patient and cooked it low and slow, and then, I had a really great omelet! I have a hard time plating omelets for whatever reason but I did my best. Here, I had it with a hash brown patty and a few veggie sausage links. This was more of a leisurely brunch than a breakfast, but hey, that's what I need sometimes.

3. Peachy Acai Bowl with Kiwi and Pumpkin Seed Butter (Gluten Free, Nut and Soy Free Options)


Acai bowls: The original smoothie bowl! This one is from this recipe from Sprouting Zen. A base of acai, banana, and chia seeds is topped with sliced peaches, fancy cut kiwis (because I liked the look of the original and I hadn't made pretty kiwi in a while), cacao nibs, hemp seeds, more chia seeds, shredded coconut, and a drizzle of pumpkin seed butter. On a hot day, this is really a perfect way to start a morning.

4. Refried Bean and Avocado Toast (Soy Free, Nut Free)


Toast is endlessly versatile. So why not take it in a Tex-Mex direction? Here, I spread some leftover refried beans that I warmed up over some toast. On top of that, I added sliced avocado, a sprinkling of fresh cilantro, some flaky salt, and a squeeze of lime juice. Unsurprisingly (since all those flavors go together so well anyway), this was delicious.

5. Blueberry Silken Tofu Smoothie (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


If you want a higher-protein smoothie than your typical fruity one, but like me you're somewhat averse to protein powder, silken tofu is your friend. Not only does it make for a super thick smoothie--seriously, if you want a smoothie bowl, this is a great way to have one without putting in a gazillion frozen bananas--it also contributes a wonderful creamy texture instead of a strange, chalky one. (I just can't make friends with protein powder. Can you tell?) This recipe, cut in half except for the soy milk, is found at The Spruce Eats, using the suggested honey substitute of maple syrup. (I had to use all the soy milk because the initial mix was the sort of smoothie consistency that requires a spoon, and that wasn't the mood I was in.) Aside from being wonderfully sweet and fruity, it was also a stunning color.

6. Minty Plumcot, Cherry, and Mango Salad (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


I scaled a recipe from the New York Times way, way down for this bowl of vibrant goodness. Here we have plumcots, a new-to-me indulgence that is a 50-50 hybrid of plums and apricots, with both red and golden cherries and some chopped mango. That's all tossed in a dressing of orange juice, mint, and agave nectar. I had this with some peanut butter and banana toast and herbal tea to round out my morning meal, and I was really happy with everything. (Or at least, breakfast.)

7. Peach Curd Parfait (Gluten Free, Nut Free)


I had some peaches that needed to be used and I found this recipe for vegan peach curd. I decided to make a parfait out of it, and it was great! It's your typical granola and yogurt layers, but with peach curd. I used a high-protein Greek-style soy yogurt here, so all my breakfast needed to round it out was a muffin from my freezer.

8. Boxty Waffles with Mushroom Gravy (Nut Free)


I love boxty, so I was curious to know whether boxty batter would cook well in my waffle iron. Well, folks, of course boxty batter makes beautiful waffles! I made these with my usual go-to boxty recipe (from the Fiery Vegetarian) and put it into my waffle maker instead of cooking it on the stove. While I was doing all this, I had mushroom gravy (recipe from Cotter Crunch) simmering. I served this with some roasted multicolored tomatoes and a few Field Roast breakfast sausages. This was so good on a weekend morning, and let me use up several things I had in my fridge.

9. Blended Lime Dragon Fruit Chia Pudding with Mango and Hemp Seeds (Gluten Free, Soy Free)


It had been a while since I made a chia pudding, but I bought dragon fruit powder and I've loved making colorful food! This recipe is from Beautiful Ingredient, though I did blend it up rather than just stir it. I had white chia seeds on hand, so I used them to keep the pink vibrant. I topped my pudding with chopped mango, hemp seeds, and black chia seeds. It was a perfect morning main dish with a side of toast and some grain coffee! (I.e., not coffee; caffeine is not part of my life for medical reasons, but you do you.)

10. Zucchini Soccata (Gluten Free, Nut Free, Soy Free)


For our final installment in this post, we have a chickpea flour and zucchini "omelet"/pancake (recipe from Power Hungry), i.e., a soccata. You'll want something with these--in my case, what I had were some breakfast potatoes, but I would have loved to have had some chopped tomato, avocado, and maybe a tahini drizzle here, too--but it's a great base for imaginative toppings.



My favorite out of all this might have been the JUST Egg omelet, but it was all good. Which one of these would you try first?

Comments

  1. thanks for the wonderful ideas. I would go for that luscious fruit w/ a side of toast and nut butter first. can't pass up fruit this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about lemon poppy seed overnight oats, because I found a packet of poppy seeds in my cupboard that needs using up. Also intrigued by peach curd! Several months here until peach season returns, but I am bookmarking this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts