A Review of New Things I've Tried #32 (Snacks Edition)

I realized as I was compiling this that a ton of my snacks came from Trader Joe's, or are given to me by friends. Perhaps I need to start buying snacks from other places myself! But I also don't eat that many new-to-me and different snacks these days; I've been compiling this particular post for about a year. As much as I do like variety, I am also often a creature of habit.

1. Boom Chicka Pop Kettle Corn


This popcorn was a present from a friend (who gave me a bunch of small presents to spread out, rather than one Christmas present, which was really nice). It is really good! Just the right balance of sweet and salty and perfect with a bit of chocolate.

2. Harvest Snaps Tomato Basil Red Lentil Snack Crisps

Another present from my friend! If you've had the somewhat more common green pea crisps that look like this, you can imagine the texture, which is very similar. Lentils are such a nutritional powerhouse (as I, a non-medical doctor, understand these things) and I appreciate the extra protein these have on days I find myself disinterested in protein (that happens to me surprisingly often). But none of that matters if they don't taste good. Fortunately, they are also tasty--it's a more intense tomato flavor than I expected, and that was pretty nice.

3. Trader Joe's Kalamata Olive Hummus


I adore Kalamata olives (and all other olives, really), and this hummus really comes through with the olive flavor. It's like olive tapenade hummus. The only thing missing would be a bit of olive tapenade as a garnish on top of the hummus itself. I like making my own hummus, mind you, but sometimes, it makes more sense to just buy it.

4. Lay's Dill Pickle Potato Chips

This was another present. The taste of dill is pronounced here, and I love dill, so these were really nice! Another fun thing about potato chips in general: They have more potassium in them than a lot of snacks, so they can help me meet my potassium goals for the day (which is by no means a commentary on what your potassium intake ought to be or how you should get it--talk to your doctor if you have questions about that).

5. Kinnikinnick S'moreables


Why, you might ask, would I buy gluten-free graham crackers? I don't avoid gluten. But I do avoid companies with workers on strike, and Nabisco employees were on strike, plus I avoid honey, which meant that the only safe, regular graham cracker (Nabisco Grahams) was out of reach, even if I could have gotten it shipped (and usually I can't). These were the only option. They are, in my opinion, virtually nothing like graham crackers. They're like a hard shortbread cookie vaguely flavored of molasses, and they have an odd aftertaste. I'll finish the box without too much fuss but I wouldn't buy them again. If gluten was off the table for me, though, I might feel differently about them.

6. Trader Joe's Soft-Baked Sunflower Butter Cookies with Roasted Sunflower Seeds


This is a major find for the allergy-friendly snack market! These are nice and soft, and I couldn't believe they weren't gluten free, since they had such an appealing crumb! Absolutely delicious. I will definitely pick up another box of these when I'm in Trader Joe's again.

7. Trader Joe's Almond Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets


More from Trader Joe's! I love peanut butter pretzel nuggets, so I couldn't wait to try almond butter ones! These were really good and a bit different, which I liked. I'm still more of a peanut butter fiend than almond butter, but I would definitely have these again. I got through this whole package pretty quickly! I liked them so much that I deliberately worked snacks into my day, just so I could eat them.

8. Trader Joe's Mango Mini Mochi


I didn't like these as much as I had hoped. The mochi was good, and the mango sorbet was good, but they were not good together. I ended up letting them thaw enough that I could peel the mochi off the sorbet and eat the two separately. It's a shame, because I truly love mochi.

9. Trader Joe's Mini Peanut Butter Filled Pretzel Nuggets


Though these are super cute--teeny tiny pretzels--they end up having too much pretzel and not enough peanut butter. They're still good, but I would much prefer the normal sized ones, for the bigger peanut butter-to-pretzel ratio.

10. Anna's Ginger Swedish Thins


Yet another present from my friend. These cookies are so nice with tea! A great ginger flavor and just the right amount of crisp. It's fun that these are incidentally vegan.


Do you have a favorite snack? Something you think would be worth trying out?

Comments

  1. Sucha fun round up! I do not like popcorn generally (I have texture issues with it), but I will make an exception for a good sweet and salty one. Also, love all the nut butter pretzels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love popcorn, but I do hate the way some kernels get stuck under my gums. But I still love it so much that I just power through!

      Yes, there has never been a nut butter pretzel not worth loving.

      Delete
  2. This is a nice snack list! I've sampled a few of them and others I will certainly be on the lookout for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my favorite were the sunflower butter cookies. SO GOOD.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts