Monbento Square #35 (Single Tier)

 


When I had this, it was the end of the week, and I needed to find something for lunch that wasn't a sandwich or leftovers. Thus, I made some peanut noodle salad. It's a very easy, very cheap, delicious meal I ought to make more often, and don't. This was the end of a package of spaghetti with peppers (obviously; all the peppers everywhere right now!), cucumbers, and scallions in a peanut sauce topped with more scallions, crushed peanuts, and black sesame seeds. In my opinion, this is pretty close to the perfect lunch.

This was my last day at the library for 10 days, since I'd been put on a rotation to work from home half of the time and work on site half of the time. We're now in teams, and I'm Team B. They say they'll evaluate this after three weeks. I'm grateful for the chance to be exposed less, although it's hard to live through this season anyway--hard to be at the library, and hard to be at home for different reasons.

Because I have never gone back to eating in the break room when we returned on site this summer, I now have tips for you if you, too, find yourself needing to eat in your car in winter:

1. Even if you're going to eat your lunch in your car, don't leave it in your car. Bring it inside so it can be at room temperature, not freezing, when you eat it, or give a Thermos a better chance at keeping your soup hot. This really does make a difference.

2. Make a fresh cup of hot tea in an insulated mug to take with you to your car at lunch. Drinking hot tea throughout the meal will go a long way toward keeping you warm. If your tea is too hot to drink, let it cool while steaming your face. Might as well take advantage of the situation!

3. Bundle up! Keep a blanket in your car to cover your lap and feet, and wear a heavy coat, hat, and fingerless mittens. If you feel it's appropriate for your workplace, wear snow boots; if not, keep some in the car to change into.

4. If at all possible, park in the sun, not in the shade.

5. When all else fails, turn the car on. Nobody wants you to freeze to death. (I have not yet had to turn my car on. But I'm just saying.)

I've found eating in my car pretty pleasant most of the time. I wasn't cold when I ate this in spite of the fact that I was eating cold noodle salad on a cold day with three inches of snow on the ground, and I didn't even have my car on. Take it from an unwilling pro at this.

It'll be mostly the "sequestration meal" series here for a little bit, while we work from home and attempt to avoid everyone getting sick. Four of my colleagues were out with COVID this week. I have been just wearing an N95 respirator all the time (I even go outside if I am going to take a sip of water), and I do not test positive for COVID (my workplace tests everyone regularly). I aim to keep it that way, and so, I will continue my chilly lunches in my car when we're back at the library again.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Comments

  1. I have been thinking about eating my lunch in the car, though in my case it is too hot rather than too cold out there! I will have to turn it on for the air con. But the office where the lunch table is, that is where the biggest risk is eating with people without masks on. Plus most of the office staff up there don't even wear masks during the day. I even messaged our manager asking her to please remind everyone about mandatory mask wearing, but she never responded and she is one of the people up there never wearing a mask. Besides lunch, I never take my mask off. I am pretty good at not drinking during the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the summer here, I did sometimes turn my car on for the AC when I was eating out there. It doesn't get super hot here but in a car it can feel pretty hot! But so far I have managed the winter solo car picnics okay without it. I hope you find a solution you're comfortable with soon. People here do tend to wear masks, but the break room frightens me.

      Delete
  2. So sorry to hear about your Co-Workers! I hope they all are back up to par soon. This meal look delightful, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're fine, but they did report that even double vaccinated and boosted, it made them very ill.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts