Sequestration Meal #392

 


Taking good care of myself worked; I felt much more chipper after a few days, and ready to really cook again. I still had a bit of cauliflower, plus red bell peppers (it's still pepper-everything season around here), a package of spinach I'd been avoiding opening to make it last longer (adult spinach holds up surprisingly well in these long seasons between shopping, especially sealed in that magical bag with the special air that keeps leaves happy; you just need to pick through it a bit for the wilted stuff if there is any--but do not try this with baby spinach), some cilantro (I've actually been shocked by how long I can make cilantro last when properly stored!), and the usual complement of onions, etc. I'd initially planned to make some cauliflower fishy nuggets with my extra cauliflower, but then I ended up with all those peppers. So I went in a slightly different direction: Cauliflower-red pepper-onion-spinach pakoras!

I roughly followed this recipe at I Love Vegan for the batter and the creamy cilantro sauce, cutting down the red pepper flakes to a more tolerable level of spice for me and using dried ground coriander rather than coriander seeds (I didn't have any). Next time, I'd probably cut up my cauliflower a bit more finely, or deep fry them, because the odd shapes made them difficult to pan fry. But these were delicious. This is one of the easiest, and most satisfying, meals I know how to make.

As I bit into one, I gave myself the giggles by thinking about all the people who complain about vegans only eating "rice and beans." No rice here, but I doubt this is what the people have in mind when they complain about beans. My bean-filled lunch was all I could have desired, but you could also add some rice pilaf if you wanted to round things out. In this recipe, the proteins are balanced out by using a bit of all-purpose flour, which makes these not gluten free, but you can definitely make gluten free pakoras. It can be whatever you need it to be. For those of you with allergy concerns, this is already soy and nut free, too.

In omnivore life, it would not have been so easy to make something fresh and delicious for lunch out of groceries purchased nearly four weeks ago. Maybe that's what made me laugh. I "gave up" so much and here I am living my best pandemic life.

That, or I'm losing my mind. It could go either way. How are you doing, out there?

Comments

  1. Those look AMAZINGLY Perfect! YUMMERZ! I know what you mean about either living the best pandemic life or losing my mind....seriously...it could go either way. I'm with ya! Glad you are feeling better. I've been eating some really random things. Today I had Farro with a mayo sauce. I know...odd. Yesterday I had Barley & Lentils with Corn and Black Beans in a sauce. Other meals have been green beans in the air fryer...cauliflower wings in the air fryer. Nothing too involved, really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you've discovered the secret weapon: Just put stuff in sauce!

      Delete
    2. Oh heck YES! Sauce, Dips, Spreads! Gotta HAVE them! Lol!

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm.... I feel my mind was lost long ago. My days are not just going to work and hoping I don't get COVID, and then coming home and collapsing in a puddle. Sometimes I am laughing so I don't cry! I need to learn your skills for coriander preserving. No matter what I try, it always goes gross so fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if that has anything to do with how it is grown near you and whether it's fresh enough in your stores? And how they store it? But there is one other alternative. Cilantro is a great potted plant, and will grow happily in a window. I just haven't had success with starting it from seed, so I'd say to buy the plant itself if you go that route.

      Sorry you're struggling! I am also just going to work and coming home, although instead of collapsing into a puddle, I have scheduled my days to the hilt so I don't have to think too much about things. The good news is that at this rate I'm going to have absolutely immaculate closets soon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts