Recipe: Coffee-Free Peppermint Mocha Latte (Vegan)

 


When I wake up in the middle of a snowstorm, I want cocoa. But sometimes I want something even more fantastic than cocoa. So I've developed this peppermint mocha latte that has all the right flavors and none of the problems of caffeine (for me). If you don't have caffeine issues you could probably use instant coffee granules rather than the Cafix I use here. 

This is so good. The kind of thing that gets you out of bed when you need to dig your car out of the snow to get to work.

I don't think caffeine is a problem for everybody, of course. I am not a medical doctor, so I have no professional opinions on this. But as for me, I don't do well with it, and I've avoided it for about 20 years, so that's why I use the Cafix. It's been such a lovely discovery for me! If you also avoid caffeine but can't find Cafix, just leave it out. It will still taste good. It'll just be a minty cocoa rather than minty mocha latte, and that's nice on some mornings, too.


Coffee-Free Peppermint Mocha Latte (Vegan)
Serves 1

1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 teaspoons instant Cafix granules
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1 cup soy milk (or other plant-based milk)
1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
Coconut whipped cream (optional)
Peppermint stick, for stirring (optional)


In a small saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder and Cafix granules until well-mixed, then whisk in maple syrup. (Doing this ahead of time will help prevent lumps from forming in your cocoa powder after you add the milk.) Finally, whisk in the milk.

Bring just to a boil over medium heat. Remove from heat. Stir in peppermint extract.

To serve, pour the latte into a mug. Drop in a peppermint stick and/or top with coconut whipped cream, if desired.

Comments

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Peppermint! So refreshing! I'm a fan of minty things year-round! This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely need a treat a lot of the time these days! I wouldn't say I'm into mint all the time but sometimes it unquestionably helps.

      Delete
  2. I also avoid caffeine. It doesn't go well for me, it gives me jitters and palpatations and then I need to lie down and feel dizzy and nauseous. But as a result, I have also developed a dislike of the smell and taste of all things coffee. Sadly, it also counts out black and green teas for me. I still occasionally drink them (I just really love chai or a matcha lattes), but I have to be prepared for the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you would feel about grain coffee. Have you had chicory? It's not quite coffee, exactly. I don't know how to describe it. But some of the flavor notes are there. Still, I definitely understand not liking the taste of things you associate with feeling bad.

      Delete
    2. I haven't tried chicory, but I think my dad might have some chicory syrup he has sometimes. I also have a bunch of Teecino things that have been sitting in the pantry for about eight years, I really should try one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts