Sequestration Meal #387


Although I could have made some version of this several weeks in between grocery trips, I made it now so I could have fresh avocado and fresh cilantro. Here we have Spanish rice and some very basic enchiladas to go with that avocado and cilantro. Invisibly, there is also a squeeze of fresh lime over this.

The enchiladas are corn tortillas filled with a mixture of seasoned refried black beans, onions, and Violife cheddar shreds, covered in a basic red enchilada sauce I made and topped with more cheddar shreds and Tofutti sour cream. This was a pretty perfect meal for a very cold day when baking things seemed compulsory. (If you're curious, this is about 10 days after my last trip to the store. Cilantro holds up well if you keep it sealed and moist, and make sure to unbundle it from its twist tie when you get it home.)

I'm so utterly relieved that I don't have to be physically present at work that probably anything would be totally delicious, to be fair. But I'm glad I've expanded beyond my omnivore conceptions of what goes inside enchiladas. At this point, anything that tastes good with tortillas and enchilada sauce is getting stuffed inside, and I'm happy. At some point, I want to try recreating a few others of the enchiladas I remember, but for today, this was perfectly good enough.

I've noticed that I'm eating a lot more rice recently for whatever reason, but it isn't bothering me. Usually I'd get tired of it, but for the moment it's just soothing. Do you have a comfort food you see cropping up a lot in your meals lately?

Comments

  1. This is right up my alley! Looks perfect to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try your technique of keeping coriander fresh in the fridge! Mine always goes slimy so fast. I don't know if I have anything that I am eating more of lately as a comfort thing, but I always have plenty of comfort foods in my house that I can snack on if I need a little pick me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unbundling it is very important. It goes slimy really fast in the bundle!

      Delete
    2. My brain is a mess. I just posted on your most recent post about learning how you keep coriander fresh so long, and here you are just a few days ago giving me tips. Brain = mush.

      Delete
    3. Although I'm sorry if that causes you any distress, please know I don't mind it at all!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts