Sequestration Meal #384

 


My latest YouTube rabbit hole, whilst I hunker down avoiding people, has been budget cooking. One of the channels I have watched a lot of makes frequent use of corn tortillas and refried beans. This is one of the things its creator seems to eat on a regular basis: A tostada.

Of course, I adore tostadas, but I don't think I had ever made one or even considered it. They're messy to eat, and usually I would want chips instead, to avoid the attempt at either cutting it up and spilling it when the base cracks, or getting toppings all over my nose when I give up and pick up the whole thing to eat like some sort of pizza. Tostadas were, I guess, child-appropriate food in a way. They don't make me feel grown up or sophisticated when I try to eat them. But all of that makes them the perfect option for a meal at home alone. No one need judge me for my sour cream-covered nose. Plus, unlike having nachos, this is a much higher topping-to-base ratio. Nachos are about the chips. Tostadas are like tacos with too much stuff in them to have been folded.

My tostada was supposed to be topped with homemade salsa, but the grocery store had no jalapenos, and no acceptable substitutes. It's fine. We can roll with that. 

(The grocery store, by the way, was an adventure I do not care to repeat quickly. I bought enough for lasting a month--you can follow this saga here if you like to find out if I make it that long again--and have made rough plans to ensure I'm still eating produce by the end of January and not just stuff in cans or the freezer (even though that's fine for some meals and it may still happen). I'm pretty concerned, though, by how much disregard people have for public health measures these days. I wore an N95 mask and went at 6:00AM to avoid as many people as possible, but I still encountered unmasked folks quite a bit. But by now if I was going to get COVID from my grocery trip I would have it, so I'll just try not to be too disturbed by having to work in person at the library 90% of the time or more. At least there people try a little harder to wear their masks.)

I made my own tostada shells by frying corn tortillas; you can bake them, but I wanted mine to be perfectly crispy and baking them makes them crispier on the outsides than inside. I spread the fried tostada shell with refried black beans, then topped it with taco-flavored TVP crumbles, non-dairy cheddar shreds (Violife), romaine lettuce, tomato, red onion, avocado, non-dairy sour cream (Tofutti), and fresh cilantro. I didn't really even miss the salsa I was going to make; this was delicious. And after my last few weeks of sturdy produce, frozen things, and shelf-stable staples, getting some crispy lettuce and fresh herbs in was so nice. Because they taste better made one at a time, I only photographed one, but I had two of this size.

This is gluten free and nut free, incidentally, and would be soy free if you left off the TVP and Tofutti, if you're looking for allergy friendly options. Without the TVP and Tofutti, I would suggest adding more beans--maybe putting some chili beans on top of the refried beans, for example--and making guacamole with lime to substitute for the sour cream, maybe squeezing a bit of lime all over everything.

Comments

  1. That looks sooo good. And yes! There are some foods which are better solo or only with highly-trusted people (with a napkin or something nearby for the nearly-inevitable mess)!

    Loaded nachos - so heavily loaded they resemble tostadas - are one of the things I miss (no corn, beans, hot or bell peppers, or lettuce for me, and then cheese sauce and sour cream - my favorite parts - are not a *great* idea digestively either); I have very fond memories of Nachos Bell Grande (not a dignified food, either) at midnight with a good friend after having grand (minor) adventures of various kinds. Very good; very messy (although I did get fairly good at using some structurally-stable chips as chopsticks/spoons for the other parts); very fun times.

    (I know Taco Bell is classic drunk/high food, but our adventures were unmediated by substances other than gales of laughter, naturally-produced adrenaline, and the occasional dash of sleep deprivation; it's possible the nachos would be better with adjunct substances, and also very possible that they would taste abominable to a more mature palate, but they were abundantly good as it was.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For us it was Taco Bueno, and I always got the chicken enchilada burrito platter. Horrifying in so many ways! But I may or may not have ever had Nachos Bell Grande. It's like I'm the only vegan out there not frequenting Taco Bell (they are pretty vegan friendly; I just never got excited about them). I suspect we all have fond memories of the horrible food we ate in college.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit that I load my nachos so high that I need a fork because the chips just cannot handle all the stuff I want to put on top!
    I'm sorry the grocery trip was so stressful! Last time I went there were hardly any people, but I still had to keep dodging aisles where there was a guy with his mask under his chin, and also several oft he staff in the aisles not wearing masks either. Even though they are mandatory. *rage scream*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the way to eat nachos anyway, probably! Just overloaded to the point where the chips are superfluous. I will rage scream at the Australians for you if you'll rage scream at the Americans!

      Delete
    2. Happy to range scream and any and all who deserve it! Did another early trip this morning and, once again, some guy with his mask around his chin. WHY ARE THEY LIKE THIS?

      Delete
  3. You may know that I'm a HUGE fan of "cheap eats" and that time and time again I will try and veganize "Great Depression" Cooking. Have you looked into Clara's Kitchen? https://www.youtube.com/c/GreatDepressionCooking
    Eventho it's not a veg channel I get a lot of ideas from it and then do a vegan version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching Clara! And yes, I've even veganized her Poor Man's Meal myself! It's here if you want to check out the post: http://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/2020/11/sequestration-meal-166.html

      The thing is that cheap food from omnivores often relies heavily on things that are pricier to swap out, like JUST Egg for eggs. But it's nice when I can find common ground! I'll look for your cheap eats, too.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts