Interlude: A Vegan Picnic for Two (Gluten Free)

 


Recently, a friend from the West coast came to visit me at work for lunch, and because we both had so little time, and because I only do my socializing outdoors, I offered to bring us a picnic. My workday picnics are a lot less elaborate than my leisurely ones, but I still felt the situation called for onigirazu. I promise, I do not always make onigirazu for people. But if we decide to have a picnic and I am planning on going to the grocery store the next day, you'll very often end up getting onigirazu! There were a couple of reasons for me choosing this, but the primary one was that I already had the stuff to make it.

The onigirazu has seasoned sushi rice, pickled red cabbage, avocado, some ready-made baked tofu, shredded carrot, cucumber, and spinach. I made a little cup of sriracha mayo for each of us to go with it. I also packed a clementine and two oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough bites (recipe from Bakerita) as a dessert. I really liked these cookie dough bites and would definitely make them again, but we already knew that I will pretty much eat anything based on cashew butter.

I had a few granola bars in my bag I totally forgot about, so I hope this was enough to tide her over! She seemed to really like it. In my case, my clementine turned out to be rotten, so I was glad hers was fine--life happens, though, you know? And also I tend to have a smaller appetite than most people.

I was able to show her an exhibition I recently curated with colleagues afterward, so all in all, a more fun day at work than I've had in a while!

Comments

  1. How lovely! I would be absolutely delighted if someone made me a picnic lunch like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll make you one if you visit, but I think that might get complicated given how far you'd be traveling for lunch!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts