Sequestration Meal #457

 


This is a new thing for me: Lubya (Afghan kidney bean curry) with basmati rice and some cilantro. I have been intrigued by the recipe at the Curious Chickpea since I first ran across it, since I don't think I've ever had Afghan food before. I had gone looking for something I could make with a can of kidney beans and this jumped out at me even though I had to make some substitutes (ground spices rather than whole, and canned diced tomatoes rather than whole).

I have no idea whether this is remotely authentic but it was delicious so from my perspective that doesn't matter so much! It was also pretty easy--not a whole lot of effort beyond stirring stuff now and then.

Coincidentally, this is free of all major allergens, unlike many curries that rely on coconut milk. (At least I think? I have yet to understand whether coconuts are considered nuts for nut allergy purposes but to be on the safe side I just don't call something nut free if there is coconut. Feel free to direct me to resources if you know more about this.)

Had I had more energy, I would have made some flatbread with this. Maybe next time.

Comments

  1. I had a look at the recipe, and it sounds wonderful! I have been eating through my freezer stash of plant based meats a lot recently, which has led to me craving beans!

    I don't think coconut counts as a nut for allergy purposes, but as a coconut fat intoelrant person, I do appreciate when things mention when coconut is included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also known people who were allergic to coconut. In any case, this is a coconut-free curry, so enjoy to your heart's content!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts