Sequestration Meal #452

 


I don't recall how I first ran across this millet recipe, but when I did, I knew I had to make it in blackberry season. Here I have a sweet potato millet patty with blackberry salsa, some sliced tomatoes garnished with flaky sea salt and a bit of fresh basil, and steamed green beans. The patty recipe is found over at One Green Planet.

What's lovely about this recipe--aside from the fact that it's so allergy friendly, which I think is pretty cool--is that it has plenty of protein from a combination of seeds. It's not just sweet potato and millet here, oh, no. We've got sunflower seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, and tahini, too, all in big enough quantities to add their own flavors and crunch to the patties. After you pan fry them, you top them off with a blackberry salsa that mixes the berries with basil, cilantro, lime juice, and a bit of chili powder (or fresh chilis if you've got them). The salsa may be a pricier topping, but given that the patties themselves are pretty darn cheap, I think it balances out. But if you make this, don't skip the salsa. It adds so much flavor and dimension! I may try this out in winter with frozen blackberries and dried herbs. If they work, this could be on a year-round rotation.

I added the tomatoes and the green beans because I wanted to practice the "eat the colors" principle, but of course they're also delicious because it's their season to shine, too. This was practically the perfect summer meal.

If you make these patties, though, be careful when you flip them--I accidentally dropped one when I was doing that and it fell all apart. These patties are delicate and don't firm up, necessarily. I might try flax in them next time to see if they bind better. But I would, unquestionably, make them again. Here's to success!

Comments

  1. Hurrah for a successful dinner! I am intrigued by blackberry salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sweet and tart and slightly spicy and herby and really the perfect thing to put on the millet patties!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts