Recipe: Spiced Butternut Squash Blended Chia Pudding (Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy and Nut Free Options)

 


I had some extra roasted butternut squash left over from the butternut squash lasagna I made, so I decided to try making a breakfast out of it. I liked the idea of a smoothie, but I wasn't that excited about the recipes I found for that. So I took one of them as inspiration for this chia pudding.

I am not keen on most chia puddings, because I find the texture a bit off-putting. But if you blend your chia seeds up with your other ingredients, you have a smooth pudding, without any of the sliminess of unblended ones. (Not that I don't appreciate some slime in the right places--I think okra is delightful--but we all have our things we don't like that much, am I right?)

I made this with a blend of the last of a container of almond milk and some soy milk, but you can use any plant-based milk. If you're avoiding nuts and/or soy, try rice milk or a pea-based milk like Ripple.

Spiced Butternut Squash Chia Pudding
Serves 1 as a main dish or 2 as a dessert/side

3/4 cup mashed cooked butternut squash
1 cup plant-based milk of your choice (I used 1/2 cup almond and 1/2 cup soy)
1 pitted Medjool date
1 1/2 teaspoons white chia seeds (you can use black chia seeds, but it will make the pudding darker in color)
1/4 of a large banana
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
A dash of cloves 
Whipped coconut topping, for garnish (optional) (omit for nut-free option)

If your dates are not soft and your blender is not powerful, soak your dates in hot water for about 10 minutes, then drain and discard the water. 

Mix all ingredients except the whipped topping in a blender until smooth. Pour into a serving container. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

When ready to serve, add whipped coconut topping.

Comments

  1. This sounds lovely! I have some leftover posts coming up and I'm actually getting a little bit behind schedule because I have been making so many things lately. Might have to double up on posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun autumny cup. I agree, chia pudding on it's own I am not the biggest fan of. Blending them up sounds like a good plan. You do the best things with leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I learned the blender trick a long time ago from another blogger, and it's genius! I basically just blend all my chia puddings, even if the recipe doesn't suggest it. Some of them end up a bit dingy, but it's a small price to pay for the textural benefits, for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts