Monbento Original #51 (Double Tier)

 


That kale and kumquat salad I had a little while ago was so good I decided to make more. Unfortunately, I forgot the chia seeds, but it still tasted good. To make the salad packable, massage the kale with olive oil and lemon juice and pack that with the sliced kumquat. Keep the cheesy bread crumbs and tahini dressing separate until you're ready to eat. If I'd remembered the chia seeds, I'd probably suggest putting them in with the bread crumbs.

Alongside the salad, I had a veganized version of a classic American appetizer: Veggie pinwheels! It's a mixture of (Kite Hill) sour cream, (Miyoko's) cream cheese, and (Daiya) cheddar with a bit of salt and pepper that is spread over a tortilla. One then tops it with veggies--here, shredded carrot, chopped green bell pepper, some sliced scallions, and chopped black olives--and then rolls it up and slices it. It was delightful and I'd definitely make it again.

Finally, I have a couple of pieces of saltine "crack" candy I tried to make based on this recipe. What I made was delicious and addictive but still a bit soft; I thought it was supposed to make something more of a hard toffee. Next time I'd boil the caramel mixture a bit longer. But it doesn't really matter. What I did make is so good. It's like some sort of new candy bar.

This was a cold solo picnic--temperatures didn't reach freezing on the day I ate this--but it was fine with an insulated mug of lemon ginger tea to keep me warm. I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to eating in the break room. Honestly, eating in my car has become a really nice retreat from everything. It's nice to step away from work for a bit, physically as well as otherwise.

Comments

  1. Oh WOW! Look at THIS masterpiece! Looks and sounds wonderful! Fancy, even! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend has made some of that cracker crack chocolate stuff and it is very addictive.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts