Sequestration Meal #395

 


At times, we just meet ourselves in the struggle and do what we can. We can always do better later on. But this was actually pretty great in spite of the struggle.

I had a night with zero interest in cooking recently, but knew I needed to do at least something to have some food prepped in order to eat lunch, so I baked some canned incidentally vegan biscuits and had that for dinner with some veggie bacon, and the next day I had a leftover biscuit with some I Can't Believe It's Not Butter: Vegan and Beyond Chicken tenders on it for lunch. To round out the meal, I made a salad. It's a very Southern U.S. lunch--salad and a chick'n biscuit.

No, I did not go to the store. (This is now the end of week four of living off what I bought last time.) I genuinely forgot about my cucumber, and not all of it was salvageable, but English cucumbers hold up remarkably well. I'm always shocked by that. So does almost any head lettuce, especially romaine (like this was) or iceberg. The outer leaves of a head of romaine may be wilted and sad, but the inside will stay crisp for a frighteningly long time, which is why that's the lettuce I bought when I was planning to go a very long time between shopping trips. Only a leaf or two was not salvageable. You'd never know the difference with the rest. There was some red bell pepper here, too (of course), some Bac'n bits, and some homemade vegan ranch. And what do you know? It was almost like I set out to do this on purpose!

Some tips I've learned about dealing with leftover biscuits: They don't last long at room temperature, so keep them sealed, airtight, in the refrigerator if you can eat them steadily for a week. If you need longer, wrap them up and freeze them in an airtight container, but don't thaw them at room temperature, only thaw them in the fridge. (Otherwise, they'll get soggy when they thaw.) When ready to warm your biscuit, do it in the toaster oven. It will taste as good as fresh baked that way--crispy outside, soft inside. Perfection.

Comments

  1. Great tips on those leftover biscuits. They look PERFECT btw! I was drawn to them as soon as the post popped up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts