Sequestration Meal #405

 


In February, winter begins to feel eternal around here. The sun is returning but it snows relentlessly anyway and it can be hard to just not feel over the up side of this (being able to have the oven on regularly).

But I'm finding it helps to explore what's seasonal and new-to-me, so I decided to veganize this intriguing recipe at Taste of Home for Bavarian Apple-Sausage Hash. The only non-vegan ingredients were the sausages, and that was very easy to find a vegan version for (here, Tofurky Italian sausage--which, okay, it might be weird to put Italian sausage in a German recipe but it totally worked). I figured German food would go well with potatoes, so I made some mashed potatoes to go with it. I put some dried parsley on the potatoes for photography purposes.

My one note would be that it needs more brussels sprouts (we all, always, need more brussels sprouts), but it truly was delicious, and it was pretty easy, too! A great wintery meal, for sure. I was a bit skeptical of putting in walnuts, but the walnuts added a great richness and texture here. You'd probably get a much more German feel with bratwurst, and I'll look forward to trying that out sometime when I see some vegan Bratwurst. (We do what we can these days.)

Comments

  1. This looks great! I definitely want to give it a go sometime. I have the Field Roast apple sage sausages in the freezer, which I think would work well looking at the original recipe? It would be a good way to honour my German heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Meal Idea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts