Sequestration Meal #396

 


A funny story about my grocery trip a month ago: They were out of JUST Egg. They had none in the freezer and none in the fridge. Just gone. All of it. So I saved my one folded JUST Egg in my freezer that I still had on hand for the times when I couldn't manage to really cook. I could have used it so many times, but I kept it for a day when it needed to make an appearance.

This was how I used the last of my JUST Egg: vegan chicken-flavored ramen (it's Gefen imitation chicken, if it matters), broccoli, carrots, red pepper, and chopped up JUST Egg. It's so much better (in so many ways) than eating plain ramen, but it also requires extremely low effort. I still have iffy days here and there and I still work hard to be kind to myself in the midst of them.

I grew up loving ramen and I still love ramen, even though I so rarely eat it these days. So it has the added bonus of being delicious. But the way to make this--if you should decide to--is to cut a bit of broccoli florets up, slice up one baby carrot, and chop up a few tablespoons of red bell pepper while bringing your water to a boil. Boil the broccoli and carrot with the ramen--they'll all cook in about the same amount of time--and saute the peppers while you cook the JUST Egg in a skillet according to package directions. When cooked, drain the noodles, leaving a bit of water in the bottom to mix up the sauce, put the pepper in with the other veggies and noodles, add some vegan butter and melt it into the noodles and veggies, sprinkle on the sauce packet, stir well, and top everything with a cubed JUST Egg patty.

And there you have it. Colors, protein, vegetables, carbs. I am no medical doctor but I think that's not a bad meal for 10 minutes start to finish.

Comments

  1. What a wonderful way to fancy up some ramen!!!
    A million years ago... or maybe 20 years ago... I got really bad food poisoning after eating some instant ramen noodles (how??? I will never know), and I have not really been able to eat them since. I have occasionally dipped back into some cup ramen noodles. I know there are so many fun vegan flavoured ones out there now, I might have to reconsider my stance. Which is nothing against instant ramen itself, but everything to do with remember how I felt that very bad night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know of maybe 2-3 flavors so your world is more expansive than mine! Sorry about the food poisoning; that'll ruin anyone's appetites for things.

      Delete
    2. This looks like a great BOWL to me! Very nice!

      Delete
    3. Well, I guess it IS in a bowl! Thanks for the laugh!

      Delete
    4. There are a bunch of accidentally vegan ones here, both in the supermarkets and also in Asian grocery stores. As well as some that are marketed specifically as vegan.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts