Sequestration Meal #400

 


One of the best things to make toward the end of a long, long time away from the grocery store is a soup with dumplings. I pretty well always have a carrot, an onion, a potato, some celery, frozen peas, soy curls, no-chicken bouillon, flour, baking soda, etc. But now I know I really do need to go shopping, because that was my last carrot, and the last of my frozen peas. I almost never run out of those, since they don't go bad quickly at all and I tend to just grab some when I run low. Running out of either makes me anxious. Running out of both feels apocalyptic.

Here I was guided by this recipe from Bohemian Vegan Kitchen, swapping celery for the corn, adding soy curls and a few mushrooms, and garnishing with dried parsley rather than fresh. It was good, though I think I prefer my chick'n and dumplings to be a bit creamier--I should have stirred in some non-dairy creamer and maybe even a handful of non-dairy cheese shreds. But this was good. It was soothing, and perfect for the extremely cold day I had it on.

What's your favorite cold-weather meal?

Comments

  1. Something like this with dumplings is definitely up there for best cold weather food! Even though things never get as cold here as they do here. Sometimes over the warmer months here I will do 'Seasonally Inappropriate Sundays', where I'll make something that really should be eating on a cold night. But we have such a short cold period here that sometimes I just want to make something out of season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely make out of season foods at times! You have to rebel occasionally.

      Delete
  2. This looks and sounds very hearty and filling! Perfect for winters, too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts