Sequestration Meal #401

 


I have been to the store! I did a full stock-up trip, but I will soon go back to more regular trips. I won't have to go in two weeks (as would be my usual schedule), but I also don't think I'll push it to nearly two months again, either. There is a happy medium now that infection rates have fallen, and I need to take care of myself in many different ways.

But here we have a fun winter salad of kale, kumquats, chia seeds, and cheesy bread crumbs in a citrus-tahini dressing (recipe from Minimalist Baker) and some Trader Joe's veggie bites that I had with some homemade maple-mustard dip (not pictured).  I don't often go for kale salads, but this one is one I'd definitely have again.

Plotting out a huge grocery haul meant to last 6-8 weeks requires a lot of logic puzzles, and in the midst of them I agonized a bit too much over whether to buy kumquats or not. They're expensive, but they're in season and I love them; in the end, I am so glad I went with the kumquats. This was one of the most delightful salads I've ever eaten, and you only need about one kumquat per serving. The thin slices of kumquat add so much flavor. They also pair delightfully with kale and tahini, and the crispy cheesy bread crumbs make the whole thing feel a lot more substantial.

This is generally allergy friendly--no nuts or soy--but I didn't tag it as gluten free because I used bread crumbs with gluten. However, the original recipe notes that you can use gluten-free bread if you need it, so this could be a good option for you if you have to avoid gluten.

Here's to fresh produce, winter deliciousness, and lunches that help us take care of ourselves.

Comments

  1. I'm glad you got the kumquats, we all need little treats these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed we do! But for some reason they'll only sell me kumquats in packages, and not on their own--I'd really prefer to just grab 4-5 of them. Oh, well. I hadn't had them in a long time and it was worth it this time.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely meal. Festive and fancy - FUN! I'm glad your region's cases have gone down. I think they may be doing the same here, too. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was an outbreak here locally traced back to some parties, so we're by no means out of the woods. But it's not what it was. So I'm hoping spring will mean easier times.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts