Sequestration Meal #403

 


If you're like me, you read packages--not just the ingredients (that one's a given; we're vegan, after all, and people do all sorts of things to betray us, changing formulas to add whey or labeling something as having "plant-based protein" and sticking in dairy cheese), but also the other stuff. Gardein's fishless filets (I still roll my eyes at the new labeling as "f'sh") have a recipe for fishless tacos with cilantro slaw on the back that I've long been intrigued by.

I ordered these "taco size" tortillas to be shipped to me so I didn't realize they were designed for gigantic tacos (apparently), so mine is much bigger than the single-filet version on the package. It was a challenge to eat this way, so after the photograph I rolled it up more like a burrito. I put two filets in one tortilla instead of a single filet in two that way. I used red cabbage because I wanted a colorful meal; I thought this turned out truly beautiful, especially with a gorgeous avocado! The flavors weren't something I'd gravitate toward much--raw cabbage is never quite my thing--but I'm glad I finally tried it. Now I know.

These fishless filets are so good with tartar sauce, rice, and broccoli (still my favorite way to have them) that I just keep trying to find other things I love as much with them and never do. Fishless sandwiches are a close second, however, and I will happily have those on days I don't feel like cooking rice, even if I mostly adore them with rice. But it's okay! I've had many good meals with fishless filets, and I'm sure I'll have many more. Meanwhile, this was such a wonderful feast for the eyes, I don't even mind that it wasn't all it could have theoretically been. We eat well, in so many ways.

Comments

  1. I bet quick-pickled cabbage would be more palatable to you than raw (while also being pretty), but you have probably already tried quick-pickled (frankly, more marinated than anything) cabbage? Anyway, if you've still got some red cabbage and have not tried out quick-pickled cabbage, it might be worth it. Or might not. But it'd be a very vibrant spot in your fridge, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do enjoy quick pickled cabbage sometimes, in the right application, but it may never really be my thing, ultimately, because cooked cabbage is SO GOOD.

      Delete
  2. That Slaw looks awesome. LOVE the color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been taking a moment to check out recipe suggestions on packages as well lately, there are some fun things to be made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! The recipe on the back of the porkless bites was awesome too but sadly now I can't get the porkless bites anywhere around here.

      Delete
    2. I guess now they would be p'rk bites, going with gardein's current apostrophe craze. Someone needs to have an intervention with them.

      (OMG, I just looked it up and indeed they are p'rk bites now! My question is though, why did they go with b'ef bites and not b''f bites, that would be real committment! And instead of saus'ge, s''s'g'.... I'm just saying LOL)

      Delete
    3. I'd pronounce "p'rk" as "perk," not "pork." They do need an intervention.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts