Interlude: Mexican Rice Breakfast Bowl (Vegan, Gluten Free, Nut Free)

 


I could have made this a recipe post, but it honestly didn't originate as such and I don't think it would be fair to do that, because it's more of an idea than a full-on recipe. Of the meals I ate this week, this was one of the best, but I'm not yet ready to put out a breakfast compilation again. I also feel like I want to spend more time explaining this one than a typical breakfast compilation post would. Consider this a prequel for my next breakfast compilation, I suppose.

It started with leftover Mexican rice. I heated that up to go alongside a JUST Egg I'd scrambled with onions, orange bell pepper, and mushrooms, some freshly made pico de gallo, and some sliced avocado. I sprinkled fresh cilantro over the whole thing.

I should have been more cautious with my salsa, because it was extremely spicy. I just left the jalapeno seeds in like some sort of spice fiend, and given my various medical issues, a spice fiend I am not. So, not pictured, I ended up adding a dollop of non-dairy sour cream to dilute the spice and it really helped a lot.

You could easily do a lot of variations on a scramble plus Mexican rice. It could go with refried beans, non-dairy cheese, salsa, avocado/guacamole, non-dairy sour cream, olives, whatever you like. But the key is to remember that breakfast is an arbitrary thing and mostly what we eat for breakfast is chosen because it's quick. If you have leftover rice, you can easily have that for breakfast. Just get creative!

I hope everyone enjoys the weekend; I know I've earned mine after the week I've had. See you Monday!


Comments

Popular Posts