Sequestration Meal #488

 


I eat some version of this meal a lot more frequently than you see it, but this time I'm showing it to you because I tried something new and had enough to say about it for it to be a stand alone post. Ironically, the new part isn't visible, because it's the burrito filling.

So here we have a meaty TVP and pinto bean burrito (recipe from The Stingy Vegan), some Mexican rice (recipe from Eat with Clarity); some avocado mashed with lime juice; cilantro, and salt; and Tofutti sour cream.

It was all delicious, though I would tweak the burrito if I made this recipe again to use canned refried beans doctored up by my usual, somewhat lazier method, and use soy sauce instead of salt in the TVP mix because it needed something more savory. I might also add jalapeno, but only when I'm in the mood for spice (which is more often lately, now that my Geographic Tongue is generally calmer). This time I did add some non-dairy cheese shreds to the burrito, too, and grilled the burrito lightly to ensure it melted, which I think made a difference.

I cut all the recipes in half, but the Mexican rice still made what seemed like a giant batch! For some reason I am always misjudging these things. I love rice, though, and I recently purchased a 5 pound bag of long grain rice because it was that or one pound and the per-pound price is double at that point and a pound of rice doesn't last me very long. So maybe it's not really a big deal and I should just be eating rice all the time with every meal the way some cultures do. Inflation and supply chain things still have me keeping what is probably an overstocked pantry, and knowing there is rice around gives me some reassurance, somehow.

Please know, however, that I am fine, just aware of my little irrational idiosyncrasies. Feel free to send rice recipes, though!

Comments

  1. What sort of rice recipes do you like? I find that making up a big batch of rice and then freezing it into portions to have on hand for quick fried rice dinners is always a handy thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to try things from new cultures, or things that are just new to me! Hard to specify anything in particular.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts