Sequestration Meal #489

 


I hadn't been able to get green bean casserole out of my head for weeks, so in spite of it being a "holiday" side, I concluded I needed to make it for a main dish. Alongside it, I had some herbed buttery potatoes and steamed carrots.

For the green beans, I used the ever-reliable Post Punk Kitchen recipe, which has a cashew cream sauce, and on a day I'd had a pretty high protein breakfast and lunch, it was enough for me. (This is not to say what would be enough for you. I am not your doctor, nor a medical doctor. I'm just taking care of myself here, so you take care of you!) It was as delicious as ever and so satisfying!

Alongside that, I had some new-to-me potatoes because I need to get out of my mashed potato rut. This was an easily veganized recipe from A Family Feast. It as so flavorful! I was a bit skeptical of the white wine and red pepper flakes but I'm so glad I added them both, because the way everything worked together was inspired. I did not have fresh herbs, so I just sprinkled on some dried parsley at the end, but I could see how this could be a showstopper if you were to bring it out on a holiday to share.

Carrots are carrots but they balance everything out nicely here. I did my usual quick-veggie method of steaming them and then tossing them with a bit of margarine and seasoning salt. 

In spite of the dreary lighting because the photo was taken after dark, trust me when I say that this whole plate really hit the spot. Don't save the holiday food for a holiday--eat it whenever you need a bit of cheer! And it's green bean season, after all. Why let all the beany goodness go to waste?

Comments

  1. Love taking 'special occasion' foods and making them for any occasion!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts