Monbento Original #57 (Double Tier)

 


I suppose this is the last in a series of "avoiding the grocery store" meals (and I've since gone and restocked). Here we have a salad of romaine, clementine segments, and slivered almonds with a creamy poppy seed dressing; some tortilla-tofu spread pinwheels filled with chopped yellow bell pepper, red onion, black olives, and avocado; and some vegan cheddar chickpea puffs (Hippeas).

Although I really did need to go to the grocery store, my motivation to do so was extremely low. I was beyond disinterested. I could probably have lived out of the freezer for another week, but I also know that it's not a good idea to completely deplete all of my reserves. So I did go, and I'll be able to make some good stuff soon.

But I also think it's pretty amazing inspiration for my creativity to do these deck-clearing seasons, and wow, is it remarkable how long certain kinds of produce will last!

This is a layered protein meal--nuts, seeds, tofu, chickpea puffs--which is, of course, one of my favorite approaches to food. What have you been having lately?

Comments

  1. I am loving those produce-saving hacks on Instagram. KaleJunkie has many good ones. I've gotten ripe strawberries and she suggests sitting them in a water and white vinegar bath and thoroughly rinsing and drying them and they lasted over a week without growing mold. Wrapping romaine stalks in foil is a recent one I saw. I like Persian cucumbers but they get slimy and gross if I don't eat them quickly. Saw a hack to submerge them in water with a little baking soda and put them back in the fridge. They really do last. Same with putting your avocados in water and in the fridge. Where have these hacks been all my life? I feel like I don't waste as much food anymore, which makes me feel terrible when I do. Now if I can only be better about putting celery and herbs in mason jars with a little water in the fridge....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I put strawberries in glass jars--they still last over a week with no mold and they're happily lazier! I haven't had issues with romaine going off before I can eat it, so I haven't tried to do anything to them. But I do manage to preserve most of my produce until I can eat it, and that is a satisfying feeling.

      Delete
  2. I love how you are always so inventive with things, even when you are doing a clear out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 Well, if I'm uninventive I just don't show it to you. But yes, I like to play around with things where I can!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts