A Review of New Things I've Tried #43 (Vegan Proteins Edition)

In my opinion, though apparently not the opinion of food manufacturers, the world does not need more chicken substitutes. Fortunately, there are other things. None of these are chicken substitutes, and not all of these are even meat substitutes. But they are all new-to-me things I've tried recently. Most of them were pretty good, though there are disappointments here and there, as with anything else in life.


1. Nasoya Plantspired Korean BBQ Flavor Steak


I've been so excited to find steak substitutes turning up in my local market! This soy protein-based bulgogi-flavored steak does not disappoint. It is not as firm or chewy as I remember beef being, but it is really great in its own right (plus I have found, strangely enough, that I no longer want those firm, chewy textures the way I once did--I prefer more tender things). It gets a bit dry if you microwave it, so I recommend warming it in a pan with a bit of oil, but it's also perfectly fine if you microwave it. I will be on the lookout for more of these Plantspired options.

2. Tofurky Ham-Style Roast with Amber Ale Glaze


I'd had Tofurky ham many times, but never with the glaze. I'd never seen it with the glaze. But this time around, that was all my market had. I think I like it better with the glaze, but whether because of the glaze or because of inflation, it was significantly more expensive--about double the price--so I think if I were to want glazed ham again I'd just make my own glaze if I had the option! Although I do love Tofurky, and the ham is one of my absolute favorite things, it's hard to justify paying quite this much for it other than as a holiday treat. I've also learned to make a really good tofu ham, so if it is out of your price range, be comforted by the knowledge that hammy flavors are still out there anyway.

3. Nuts.com Hazelnut Butter


I'm hesitant to put this in a protein compilation, because hazelnuts aren't that high in protein compared to other things (like peanut butter). But if you're allergic to those other things, it could be a good option. I've never seen hazelnut butter in stores that didn't have chocolate and wasn't more like frosting, but here the flavor of the hazelnuts really gets to come through (which makes sense, since this is just hazelnuts and salt). The major drawback to this had nothing to do with the product inside the jar--which is, like every nut butter I've ever tried, a revelation about how delicious nuts can be--but the packaging. This jar was nearly impossible to open! The lid was on ridiculously tight and it was too thick to use my jar-opener on. Eventually, I managed, but it took what felt like forever!

I also found that the oil separation was more dramatic with this nut butter than others, and I had to stir it pretty vigorously to get it incorporated, which was challenging because the nutty stuff underneath the oil was so thick. If you don't mind a bit of a workout to get to your food, though, I can highly recommend this!

4. Wegmans Don't Be Fishy Fish-Style Tenders


Of all the fish replacements I have tried, this one is by far the most convincing. I think I prefer the Gardein fishless filets, but if you're looking for a fish stick that reminds you of the higher-quality versions (i.e., pure haddock or what-have-you--it's been a really long time since I had any, so I don't fully remember what I used to buy), this is definitely worth trying out. I will unquestionably buy them again, because hey, the world is a scary place right now, and store brands are getting me through my financial anxieties a lot of the time.

5. Tofurky Smoked Ham-Style Deli Slices


These have been available in general for a while, but they only recently turned up at my local market, probably because with the rising cost of everything and Tofurky being one of the cheaper brands of vegan deli slices, they've been selling more than some of the others. Although I prefer Yves veggie ham, this was perfectly good, and at about 50 cents less per package, I'm really grateful to have the option!

6. Good Catch Plant-Based Salmon Burgers


These are pricey, though certainly not more so than salmon. (My cheap vegan ingredients have spoiled me and I have no sense of what things cost anymore, so I verified that before saying so.) I was never really into salmon burgers, but I did really enjoy salmon in my omnivore life, so I wanted to try these. I had trouble with them sticking to my pan when I cooked them, even though the pan was non-stick--kind of the JUST Egg phenomenon, I'd say--but the taste was great. I wouldn't have these often, but I would have them again. They're pretty unique in the world of vegan proteins.

7. Gardein Plant-Based Savory Stuffed Turk'y


I love Gardein's "turk'y" cutlets (I usually just call them vegan turkey, but I'll go with the brand's weird apostrophes in this review), but I'd never tried this stuffed version. It's a seasonal item (at least where I live) and I grabbed a package in the late fall alongside the hams and Field Roast celebration roasts I picked up. (You've got to keep the freezer stocked with these goodies!) Unfortunately, I found this a bit weird. It says it's savory, but the stuffing is extraordinarily sweet, so much so that I would recommend serving them with sweet veggies like sweet potatoes to avoid a clash of flavors. I probably won't buy these again in favor of more Field Roast roasts, but if I needed something festive and it was all there was, I could see myself picking them up. They're okay, but there are better things out there.

8. Siete Vegan Charro Beans


I've never had non-vegan charro beans, so I can't tell you whether these are promising as charro beans. But I can tell you that they're delicious! The rich tomatoey broth isn't spicy, but still has good flavors, so this could be a good option if you're not into peppery things. I enjoyed these as a stand in for refried beans.

9. Lightlife Jumbo Smart Dogs


These are fine, but definitely not my favorite. The franks are on the soft side. In the phase of veganism I'm in right now, that's fine, but I would not have been able to handle this when I was a new vegan. There aren't any Field Roast franks available near me, so I'll just keep looking for a good hot dog. Let me know if you have recommendations!

10. Garlic Herb RightRice


I have days when I just want rice and veggies, but I know I do better with more protein. (You do you in consultation with your own doctor; I am not that kind of doctor.) So this "rice," made from legumes, intrigued me. It's got a good amount of protein, and it's very easy to make--like couscous, you just stir it into boiling water and let it sit for a while off heat. (It does take longer than couscous, however--about as long as rice itself tends to take in my rice cooker.) The texture was more like pasta than rice, and I think the garlic flavor of this was quite strong, but I did enjoy it. Next time, I will try the plain flavor and see what that's like. I could definitely see using something like this to make some delicious rice salads! 


Have you had any new proteins lately?

Comments

  1. I miss the Tofuky Smoked Ham slices. I wish they would come back to Australia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure Australia has its own gems that Americans don't have access to, too! But I'm sorry you can't have what you want.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts