Sequestration Meal #611

 


I'm trying to rein in my budget, as it seems things have gotten really ridiculous out there, and I also have some extra expenses now (some of which I wasn't really prepared for). But I'm also trying to make choices that don't leave me feeling deprived. This is a meal that is a modest success in that balancing act: A TVP Sloppy Joe (recipe from The Spruce Eats) with dill pickle, a basic pasta salad that would have been classic macaroni salad with some broccoli in it, had I had macaroni (but penne is fine), and some sliced cucumbers tossed with rice vinegar and some salt and pepper.

This plate is crowded, and I probably could have arranged things somewhat more attractively, but you know what? It was tasty. And I had to buy hardly anything for it this week. So: We win.

Plus the store finally had broccoli again. We win double!

I have been reading something about a global soybean shortage, which is a major driver of food costs, especially when your diet is so soy-heavy. I frequently find the dairy section of my grocery store devoid of soy milk these days, and I have to go off and find shelf-stable varieties (which fortunately still exist). So maybe that explains, in part, why food prices are suddenly spiking again and so dramatically. I'm going to try to hold steady and be sensible about it, but that does mean this summer isn't going to be an extravaganza of fresh berries and cherries all the time.

So. Sloppy Joes it is. They're yummy and pretty easy and, though everything is relative these days, somewhat cheap. Here's to that.

Comments

  1. I hadn't heard about a shortage of soy, that is concerning given how much I love tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it'll get too serious for human consumption purposes, as much as for the indirect consumption (through livestock). But I am an irrational person who worries a lot. Please don't panic on account of me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts