What I Ate in a Day #24

Summer is here, with the evening light that makes these posts so much easier. So let me take you through a day of food!

First, there was herbal tea, but I did not photograph it.

For breakfast, I made a smoothie bowl. I recently bought a Vitamix because my Oster Versa died. I thought I had a high speed blender before. The Vitamix is so quick it's scary! And it also needs no liquid to blend frozen fruit into extremely thick smoothie bowls. What wizardry is this? 

In addition to wanting to see what a smoothie bowl would be like with my new blender, I had recently bought a few new-to-me things--dragon fruit powder, firstly, was blended with some leftover non-dairy Greek yogurt, a frozen banana, and some frozen mango, along with a bit of agave because the yogurt was unsweetened and bananas can only do so much. This base was pretty and delicious!

On top of that, I had an assortment of seasonal fruit: Mango, kiwi, red and golden cherries, and blackberries.

Finally, I had another new-to-me thing: Quinoa puffs. They went on top with chia seeds and hemp seeds.

Though this was frightfully cold, necessitating a cup of hot tea to avoid brain freeze, it was delicious. I also am in love with quinoa puffs--they're so nutty and crunchy, but not hard like a nut--more like puffed rice (which makes sense). If you have a nut allergy, they're definitely worth trying out. And even if you don't, they're so fun!

Okay, maybe I'm just too into food or something.


Lunch was also fruity. I had some leftover quinoa-blackberry-chickpea salad, and I thought it would be good with some arugula mixed in, so I put that in one half of my lunch box. On the other side, I put a Southern-style banana sandwich on multigrain-and-seed bread. I had to cut the crusts off to get it to fit, so it looks quite elegant; I ate the crusts while packing the lunch but did not photograph them.

A Southern-style banana sandwich is just bananas and mayo on bread. This may sound odd, but my bananas were at the perfect stage of ripeness and as I only get that a few days per month I had to jump on that. And I didn't have peanut butter on my banana sandwiches until I was an adult. Just trust me. It's an addictive combo.


For dinner, I made an arugula salad with cucumbers, radish, and avocado, in part because I really hadn't had that many veggies yet on this fruit-heavy day. It has a simple dressing of lemon juice and olive oil with salt and pepper; arugula really doesn't need much else.

With that, I had a veggie burger with iceberg lettuce, tomato, onion, and dill pickle. I also melted a slice of non-dairy pepperjack on it, and dressed the bun with vegan mayo. I was really doing well on this day; this was an excellent dinner.


For my final food of the day, I had a snack of random sweets I had around with an herbal tea with some soy milk in it. The sweets were some Korean black bean, barley, and black sesame cookies; a couple of Cocomel salted chocolate covered caramels; some chunks of semisweet chocolate; and some pomegranate licorice.

Not pictured, I also had a multivitamin and an algae-based DHA supplement.

This was a great day of food! I don't know which meal is my favorite. Let me know which one you'd choose!

Comments

  1. Qunoa puffs sound brilliant! I wish quinoa were low in oxalate, but at least most people don't have ot deal with that.

    Incidentally, the puffed rice from Swanson's is good (although there's a very slight hint of bitter, probably from the hull?) and while it doesn't "grab" things like popcorn does, it is still a decent knockoff for popcorn when topped and eaten with a spoon. I don't know if puffed quinoa would do the same, but if so: protein plus popcorn toppings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the Swanson's puffed rice is working for you! I'm not sure if I would want to eat puffed quinoa like popcorn, because it's pretty small, but I do see how savory applications could work well with it.

      Delete
    2. The puffed rice is also too small to eat as popcorn (and the puffed quinoa looks much smaller, which makes sense!), but eating spoonfuls of it gives the general flavor experience of popcorn with at least some vaguely-reminiscent texture. Anyway. If one hasn't been allowed to eat popcorn for a decade+ by one's GI system, it's a (very distant) second-best. :-) (that said, now I'm wondering about breaking up rice cakes for a closer approximation...)

      Delete
    3. That could work! But also there are flavored rice cakes.

      Delete
  2. I am intrigued by this Southern style banana sandwich. I have never heard of banana and mayo, it would never have even crossed my mind, but now I must make it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! It usually comes on white bread. Make sure the bananas are at that moment of sweet ripeness where they still hold their shape and aren't mushy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts