Lunchopolis #90

 


I have found a new sandwich filling: tofu chick'n salad! I made mine based roughly on this recipe, and I will be making it again. I made my sandwich with a 21-grain-and-seed bread, iceberg lettuce, red onion, and some vegan mayo (Hellman's because Vegenaise wasn't available) alongside that tofu chick'n salad, and served it with cucumber-tomato salad, some onion-flavored potato chips, apple slices, and a bit of a hazelnut butter chocolate bar.

The key to this chick'n salad--aside from the seasoning, of course--is that you freeze and thaw the tofu first. I've never had frozen-and-thawed tofu raw, but it turns out this is a whole new texture experience. And doesn't it look intriguing? Bonus points for being about half the cost of ready-made deli slices. In a world of inflation and anxiety, that helps me.

Although the lids to this set don't really seal well anymore, I can't seem to get rid of it because it is so perfect for packing sandwiches bento-style. So someday I'll probably just replace it. Fortunately, they still sell this one.

Comments

  1. My Tofu world changed when I discovered freezing tofu and thawing it. But...I think I have then done something else with it thereafter. I can't recall if I have done raw after thawed...I should have done that with my tofu sandwich spread a while back but I was too impatient for it to freeze and thaw again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I make my own chick'n nuggets from tofu, it uses the twice-frozen method, and they turn out great, but I'd never tried it raw, either!

      Delete
    2. Twice Frozen? I'll have to try that!

      Delete
    3. I didn't originate the concept, but here's my recipe: http://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/2019/02/eco-lunchbox-three-in-one-78.html

      Delete
  2. that hazelnut butter chocolate bar looks yummy. Did you enjoy it? if so, where did you get it from?

    i'm sure the chick'n is good also but i can't have soy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Dr. Bronner's Magic Crunchy Hazelnut Butter Bar. I got it from my local grocery store but they're also available online.

      Too bad about the soy! Fortunately chickpea salad sandwiches are also really good!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I do have a soy free lunches tag for those who need it: http://foodfordissertating.blogspot.com/search/label/Soy%20free%20lunches

      I haven't been using that tag for that long so right now it only has about 20, but I'm sure there will be more soon.

      Delete
  3. I love tofu chicken salad. Tofu is just endlessly flexible in its uses and preparations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! But soy is endlessly versatile so it shouldn't be surprising--TVP is the dark horse of the kitchen.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts