Sequestration Meal #416

 


Occasionally, a beautiful meal (visually) turns out to be horrendous (in terms of taste). Unfortunately, that's what we have here. This is mashed potatoes with vegan cream gravy, a drop biscuit, broccoli, and fried oyster mushrooms.

To be fair, the potatoes, broccoli, and the biscuit were all pretty good. It was the fried mushrooms and the gravy I made from the drippings that turned out to be awful. I'm pretty bummed about that on one level, because oyster mushrooms are pricey and they were a lot of trouble to make. Plus, they had cashews in the batter, which made them even pricier. I was surprised that they were awful, since it was a chickpea flour-based breading and that's usually really delicious, but it wasn't to be. I had carefully budgeted to allow myself to try this recipe, and I felt, for a moment, like I had wasted my splurge budget. Phooey.

However, this is actually good news! I no longer have to wonder what it would be like if I made fried oyster mushrooms, I never have to pay through the nose for this specific disappointment again, and I don't have to go through all the trouble and generate all the dishes it would take to make them again. I have checked this off my list. That was probably worth $5.

The biscuits, meanwhile, were so easy and still delicious! I wished they were larger, but that's my fault for not using (or owning) a larger cookie scoop to dole out the batter. I used the recipe from Simply Whisked, and I would definitely make them again. In terms of the eating, I think I prefer the kind you roll out and cut, but when a shortcut makes something perfectly serviceable, and it's the difference between having biscuits and not having biscuits, you go with the easy thing.

If you like fried oyster mushrooms, maybe you can tell me where I went wrong here! But I probably won't try this again unless someone else does the preparing for me. Life is too short for hard, expensive, horrible food.

Comments

  1. Bummer that is was gross, but I love your perspective. I love oyster mushrooms, but am generally not a fan of fried things so have never felt inspired to make fried ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the fishless filets I make sometimes with oyster mushrooms, but I guess this just wasn't for me!

      Delete
  2. Blows when a recipe doesn’t work out, especially when budgeted to accommodate. I feel like my meals have been kinda blah for weeks because I’ve been working extra hours. Doing my best but def not to par. I try to compensate for the excessive use of convenience items with heavy veg. Lots of beans this week because they comfort me and are easy. Bean salads for lunch, quesadillas and burrito bowls are scheduled for some dinners. I did prep a boatload of carrot and celery sticks today for snacks and lunch sides. Plenty of grab and go fruit.
    Also adopted a dog this weekend who was scheduled to be euthanized due to a crowded shelter. He’s very sweet but has never had a home so basic things like stairs are a challenge. Sounds of toilets flushing and the washing machine are all clearly new to him. He will learn and things will balance out but for now, it’s a bit crazy here. Long live frozen falafel and other convenience meal stars!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry it didn't turn out the way you hoped. I do agree that it looks good on the plate! I guess they can't all be winners, eh? But - seriously - you have TONS of winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! I can usually know ahead of time whether something will be good. You live, you learn, you get better.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts