Sequestration Meal #414

 


Sometimes, I eat an extra-high-in-protein breakfast just so I can have a meal later in the day that is primarily veggies and rice--always a favorite for me! In this case, on a day I'd had a tofu-based breakfast, lunch was veggie-tastic.  I made cauliflower cheese from the recipe at Loving It Vegan, turmeric rice with peas (recipe veganized from Erica's Recipes) and glazed zucchini and carrots (recipe veganized from Food Network). However, the cauliflower cheese uses primarily soy milk in the sauce and therefore this is a rice and beans meal in disguise. (Rice and beans, in so many ways...)

In America, we do sometimes put cheese sauce on cauliflower, but the British apparently take that to the next level, making a casserole that's a lot like macaroni and cheese but with cauliflower instead of macaroni. I really enjoyed this recipe and it was a pretty simple one to prepare, too. It isn't all that cheesy in my opinion but as I had never had cauliflower cheese before I had no frame of reference and it was perfect for me. I think most people would have made a cashew cheese sauce for a recipe like this but this one was essentially just a seasoned white sauce, so it's also cheaper than the kind would be made with cashews. Especially considering that cauliflower is in season and the rest of this meal is rounded out with pretty cheap stuff, this is yet another budget-friendly plate. Plus, if you avoid nuts for allergy or other reasons, this could be a good option for you.

In order to boost the protein just a bit more alongside that soy milk-based sauce for the cauliflower, I made the rice with peas. Peas, like other legumes, contribute some good amino acids to the meal. (Although note I am not a medical doctor and you should listen to yours about diet.) There's something so delightful about the yellow and green together, and the rice, although simple, was also really tasty. I would easily make this recipe again.

I have made the zucchini and carrots before; they do not disappoint. But then again I kind of love both zucchini and carrots anyway so it would be hard not to like the dish.

Sometimes I have to trick myself into eating protein. I guess I've never been the biggest protein person. But I often find ways to layer it in. Do you have meals like this, with diffuse protein sources?

Comments

  1. For some reason, I always assumed that cauliflower cheese was a US thing!
    Though it is something I probably ate and saw more growing up in Australia than mac and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it is a thing, we'd call it "cauliflower casserole." It might be. We have a broccoli casserole that is pretty cheesy (but has rice in it, too). Maybe others will weigh in here!

      Delete
  2. Another WINNER!!!!
    You know I make sauces, dips, spreads, etc out of just about anything! Totally LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts