Sequestration Meal #409

 

I think these days I'm just retreating into what's comforting and familiar because it seems like the world is falling apart. (Maybe I shouldn't even say "seems like." Because it kind of just is.)

In any case, this is mashed potatoes with mushroom gravy, stuffing, a Wegmans Don't Be Chicken cutlet, and some green beans--the most classic American comfort food (albeit veganized, of course). The mushroom gravy is from this recipe, and I used Better Than Bullion's No Beef paste to make the broth I used. When I tasted it I realized I'd made a very serious mistake--I had misread my 1/2 tablespoon measure for a 1/2 teaspoon one, and my gravy was salty beyond description. So I didn't salt anything, and put my gravy on saltless mashed potatoes. It wasn't too bad but it definitely wasn't what I was going for! I'll be finding ways to thin this gravy out and use it differently for the leftovers. Maybe it can turn into soup.

I read somewhere that in the face of existential dread one should just take a small action, any action, and that helps--overcoming inertia, reminding ourselves that we're still here and still can function. I think that was true of this meal. I know I haven't said anything here yet about Ukraine. My posts are scheduled in advance, which explains some of it. And some of it is also that it is too deeply personal for me to write about here. But I will acknowledge frequently bursting into tears when I try to overcome my existential dread by doing chores at home like peeling potatoes. My existential dread improves, I suppose, enough to let the sadness out. Maybe that's you, too. 

I want to say something more when I feel I can. But for now I will say this.

If you've read Food for Dissertating for a really long time (I don't know if anybody stuck around that long!) you may know that I spent a personally significant summertime in early adulthood in Ukraine, running around Vishneve, Kiev, and a bunch of tiny villages. Ever since, everywhere I have lived, in dormitories and sad apartments and not-so-sad ones, with and without roommates, a small Ukrainian nesting doll has been part of my décor. I keep picking it up and looking down at it, remembering the street vendor I bought it from in Kiev.

I am not someone who has traveled extensively. I've been to fewer places than most people my age who live in the world I live in now. I worked extra hours for a year to go there. Ukraine was and always will be deeply significant to me.

Slava Ukraini! Heroiam slava!

Comments

  1. It is such a hard time in the world, and things seem so overwhelmingly huge. Seeking comfort in food and small acts of kindess and grace towards yourself is important where you can. I have never been to Ukraine, though I learned a lot about it when they hosted Eurovision in 2017. But I know several people who have traveled there or who have links there. The war that has been forced upon Ukraine is just so horrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said a while ago that the people of 1920s America suddenly made SO MUCH SENSE to me during this pandemic--they came through a World War and a pandemic and in the face of all that death, it's no wonder they basically said, "Screw it, I'm getting drunk whether it's legal or not, and I'm chopping off all my hair and wearing a scandalous dress." I was thinking about that today and wondering if the 2020s are going to become a new rebellious phase.

      Delete
    2. It makes a lot of sense, when everything is so terrible. I think I have seen a definite shift in tone over the last few years. Though it seems to be more towards overthrowing the white-supremecist capitalist ablelist patriachy, supporting artists/authors/small businesses by buying many cute things (thus also allowing for the dopamine hit of buying something for yourself), mutual aid, and getting our hair dyed cool colours. Almost like, everything is so terrible, so we are going to make our own community of care. And I'm sure plenty of drinking, though I am a non drinker so I have to make my own fun other ways.

      Delete
    3. I don't drink either, but I am absolutely in the mode of creating my own community of care!

      Delete
  2. it is just simply terrible what is happening in the Ukraine. i too am deeply saddened by it and i haven't even been there so i can only imagine how much worse it is for you. i feel the existential dread as well so thank you for the recommendation to try to do small tasks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We empaths are feeling a lot right now. I think about the people of Ukraine day in and day out. My mother's former co-worker fled 30 years ago and came to the states. Her 80+ year old parents and brother are still there. We are trying to check in with her often to see if they were able to get out.

    I have been blogging more than usual to keep my mind busy but I keep coming back to current events and my anxiety is going all over the place.

    I wish there was more I could do to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think--and honestly also fear--that our moment to do more will still come.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts