Sequestration Meal #413

 


I woke up one Saturday in March and it was snowing. (You're seeing this on a Friday, I know, but my posts are scheduled in advance.) I know it snows in March, but part of me rebels against this concept, like it shouldn't get to snow in March if it's been snowing relentlessly for months already. Also, I get annoyed because I like to go for walks on the weekends and I can't do that if it's just snowing relentlessly.

But I channeled my restlessness and decided it was a good day to bake. We don't get to have the oven on all day for very much longer, after all. So I pulled out my last Tofurky ham roast and popped some vegan scalloped potatoes in the oven with it. (My go-to recipe is from Nora Cooks, and I always cut it way down--typically I cut the recipe to 1/3. It's more trouble than mashed potatoes but not that challenging and always turns out to be worth it.)

Alongside that, I had some brussels sprouts, but I wanted a sauce on them. Before I was vegan, my favorite way to eat brussels sprouts was with hollandaise sauce with some cayenne pepper in it. I have yet to find a vegan hollandaise that fills that void for me, so I went in another direction, using this recipe from Bites of Wellness for a garlic dijon sauce. I just boiled my brussels sprouts because it's my favorite way to eat them, and instead of buttering them, I topped them with this tangy sauce made from tahini and whole grain mustard. It was perfect with this meal.

Tofurky hams aren't available right now, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll turn up before Easter and I can stock up again. This was my last Tofurky ham. But at the same time, I have plenty of other versions of vegan ham to try out, so I'm content with things as they are at the moment.

Comments

  1. Looks like an excellent meal for a snowy cold day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has warmed up again--that was probably our last snow this year. So from that perspective I'm glad I got that cozy weekend.

      Delete
  2. Another great plate! Ugggg...so over this winter. We are suppose to get more snow AGAIN this weekend. Just when we think it's done...it's not...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing that's gotten to me is how much of our snow has been weekend snow. Like, I want to go for a walk or something, but SNOW.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts