Sequestration Meal #411

 


My neighbor bought adzuki beans, decided she did not like them, and gave me half a bag of them. I'd never cooked with them so I went looking for a recipe and landed on this adzuki bean curry at Moon and Spoon and Yum. I served it with basmati rice, cilantro, and some lime wedges.

This was good, but my adzuki beans, in spite of being soaked for hours on end, took probably 3 hours to cook, so on the night I planned to have it I ate banana bread for dinner because I'd also made that for my breakfasts for the week. I made the curry the next day with the finally-cooked beans.

I think curry is the wrong name for this, because there is no curry in it. But as a creamy, spicy bean dish that goes with rice, it does its job admirably. I wouldn't make it again, probably, because I prefer lentil curries, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot.

Comments

  1. I like adzuki beans, but I am lucky that I can get them tinned so I don't have to worry about cooking from scratch in a time crunch. Though one day I want to make my own Japanese red bean paste, which I will need to make starting from dried beans I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think generally you'll be safe if you just start cooking your beans the day before you want to eat them!

      Delete
    2. I totally understand what you are saying! I've had beans that have done that before, too. They seem so tough and like they aren't done eventho they were well beyond cooked.

      I think your dish looks terrific! Totally up my alley!

      Delete
    3. Beans and rice are stereotypical for a reason!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts