Sequestration Meal #415

 


This was inspired by omurice, though obviously, if you know anything about omurice, you'll object that this presentation does not look anything like omurice. So maybe we should just call it ketchup fried rice. In any case, it was delicious!

Omurice, of course, is a Japanese dish that has ketchup fried rice hidden underneath an omelet, often topped with ketchup, mayo, and sesame seeds. It's Japanese-Western fusion food, and the name is a clue to that--it's a word that came into Japanese via English, i.e., "omelet rice." I guess me making it would be like an Italian making macaroni and cheese. It's made its way back to the West!

This was my leftover turmeric rice with peas, some leftover Tofurky ham, some JUST Egg scramble (at last, I found some!), onions, mushrooms, carrots, soy sauce, and ketchup. I topped it with scallions and sesame seeds. It was really delicious! Ketchup is an underappreciated condiment, but there a lot of fun ways to use it, plus, it's very cheap.

I hope I'm not troubling any of you by referencing cost so much. It has been on all of our minds, lately, but I don't have particularly rational reasons to panic about money--I'm fine right now, and there's no chance in the near future of me going hungry or anything. But what's rational isn't always the guide to what troubles us, is it? So it's something I think about in relation to my food these days, and since this is an authentic journal of my life in food, you'll likely get glimpses of money anxiety at times.

Comments

  1. This sounds interesting! I'd be game for some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to explore more Japanese ketchup dishes. I think they're on to something.

      Delete
    2. I hope to look into them soon, too! Thanks to your nudge :)

      Delete
  2. I just bookmarked a recipe for ketchup fried rice the other day. My mum always puts ketchup on any fried rice I make. I know when I make ketchup fried rice, she will also put more ketchup on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick an omelet on there and it'll just be a Japanese dish!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts