Sequestration Meal #410

 


Life doesn't always go according to our plans. Sometimes, we discover, midway through our meal plan, that the Violife mozzarella has gone moldy, but we still really want pizza. So we make pizza with homemade mozzarella cheese balls (recipe from Minimalist Baker), but something goes a bit wrong and the mozzarella balls, although delicious, do not melt. So our pizza looks weird. But we live with it.

The crust, incidentally, is also homemade; between homemade crust and homemade cheese I imagine you'll overlook my jarred sauce and ready-made Tofurky sausage. There are also broccoli and mushrooms here, because that was what I was in the mood for, and a dusting of Violife Parmesan (that hadn't molded!), but that cheese disappeared into the sauce and you can only see it on the sausage for whatever reason.

I keep seeing people complaining about how they want to give up dairy but still want to have pizza; if the usual cheese substitutes don't appeal to you, this might work. I found that I liked this better with a homemade ranch dressing drizzled over my slice, and I genuinely would have enjoyed that even if there wasn't this lovely arrangement of lumpy cheese (okay, cashews and nutritional yeast held together with almond milk and tapioca flour, but we're calling it cheese--lovely, lumpy cheese). The cheese tasted amazing, but just didn't behave the way I wanted it to. I would probably make it again, but put it on the pizza in smaller, scattered lumps, to avoid having them be these big pieces, in the future.

We do what we can.

Comments

  1. The disappointment of cheese going mouldy is real! But I like your solution. Even if it didn't work out quite as planned, this pizza looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always being able to find a sideways solution is one of the best parts of my vegan life.

      Delete
  2. Well, I for one, think this pizza looks great! I'm all for getting creative with pizzas and I wouldn't have thought anything was 'off' about this one had you not said anything about the timeline you went thru! LOL - but I totally know what you are saying! I've had similar things happen with things 'turning' but you have already made it and really want it. Oh! And I tend to start a recipe and throw in things as I go and then realize I'm out of something that was pretty critical and then realize I can't put it in there but still keep going and make something out of it anyways :) - so YEAH! I'm totally with ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to do more with pizza. There is a place not far from me that is famous for its "mustard pies," i.e., pizzas that use brown mustard in place of tomato sauce, and from what I remember in pre-vegan times it was delicious! Pizza can really be so many things.

      Delete
    2. Mustard pies? I'm intrigued! I will have to Google that!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts